Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: embroidered pillow case

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1

    embroidered pillow case

    I'm making pillow cases for about 40 campers and embroidering the name of the camp along the cuff. My question is this: when the pillow case is on the pillow, is the seam that runs the length of the pillow along the bottom (it would be behind the neck when lying on it) or along the top (it would be at the top of the head when lying on it)? I want to make sure I embroider on the correct side of the cuff. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chula Vista CA
    Posts
    6,731
    I put the seam on the bottom of the pillow. It never occurred to me there would be a right or wrong way to do it as long as the end seam of the case is towards the center of the bed on a full size bed or larger.

  3. #3
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    49,489
    Blog Entries
    53
    for me, the ends of the pillowcases extend to the edge of the bed, no matter what size the bed is. i think it is really personal preference. if i received a pillowcase with a decorative edge, i would just place it whichever way shows the decoration. i don't think it matters which side the seam is on. if i had to choose, i'd put the seam at the top so it would not be felt near the neck and shoulder if i were to raise my hand there.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

  4. #4
    Super Member alleyoop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,346
    Doesn't matter to me since I flip my pillow so many times during the night to get to the cool side!

  5. #5
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    24,610
    Blog Entries
    1
    i've made about 100 pillowcases and this is the first time i thought about it. didn't know there was a right and wrong side or an up or downside. You learn something new every day.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I put the seam on the bottom of the pillow. It never occurred to me there would be a right or wrong way to do it as long as the end seam of the case is towards the center of the bed on a full size bed or larger.
    I don't know if there is a wrong or right way-that is my question.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    for me, the ends of the pillowcases extend to the edge of the bed, no matter what size the bed is. i think it is really personal preference. if i received a pillowcase with a decorative edge, i would just place it whichever way shows the decoration. i don't think it matters which side the seam is on. if i had to choose, i'd put the seam at the top so it would not be felt near the neck and shoulder if i were to raise my hand there.
    That's what my thinking is. Just wondered if there was a right or wrong way.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Doesn't matter to me since I flip my pillow so many times during the night to get to the cool side!
    I flip mine too. Especially during the summer.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    i've made about 100 pillowcases and this is the first time i thought about it. didn't know there was a right and wrong side or an up or downside. You learn something new every day.
    I really don't know if there is a wrong or right side-that's what my question is. I guess I will do it with the seam on the top or.....not..... Whatever happens.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for all the input. Hope I didn't cause any distress about putting the seam in the 'wrong' place.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Jeffersonville, In
    Posts
    2,604
    This reminds me of the debate about which way the toilet paper should unroll. Seems like you can do it how you want to.

  12. #12
    Junior Member homebody323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    296
    Blog Entries
    5
    Top or bottom for the side seam doesn't make a difference to me. I do occasionally embroider the cuff area but always before I assemble the quilt so that the back of the embroidery is enclosed in the cuff. Happy Stitching
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    My long seam is at the bottom of the pillow......on the sheet....I just do it automatically in morning as I make the bed....

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    This reminds me of the debate about which way the toilet paper should unroll. Seems like you can do it how you want to.
    Good analogy! Thanks!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by homebody323 View Post
    Top or bottom for the side seam doesn't make a difference to me. I do occasionally embroider the cuff area but always before I assemble the quilt so that the back of the embroidery is enclosed in the cuff. Happy Stitching
    Do you use tear away or cut away stabilizer?

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    My long seam is at the bottom of the pillow......on the sheet....I just do it automatically in morning as I make the bed....
    Auto-pilot gets a lot of things done for me. Thanks for your input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.