Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: embroidered pillow case

Blog Entries

embroidered pillow case

I'm making pillow cases for about 40 campers and embroidering the name of the camp along the cuff. My question is this: when the pillow case is on the pillow, is the seam that runs the length of the pillow along the bottom (it would be behind the neck when lying on it) or along the top (it would be at the top of the head when lying on it)? I want to make sure I embroider on the correct side of the cuff. Thanks.

I put the seam on the bottom of the pillow. It never occurred to me there would be a right or wrong way to do it as long as the end seam of the case is towards the center of the bed on a full size bed or larger.

Blog Entries
    for me, the ends of the pillowcases extend to the edge of the bed, no matter what size the bed is. i think it is really personal preference. if i received a pillowcase with a decorative edge, i would just place it whichever way shows the decoration. i don't think it matters which side the seam is on. if i had to choose, i'd put the seam at the top so it would not be felt near the neck and shoulder if i were to raise my hand there.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Doesn't matter to me since I flip my pillow so many times during the night to get to the cool side!

Blog Entries
    i've made about 100 pillowcases and this is the first time i thought about it. didn't know there was a right and wrong side or an up or downside. You learn something new every day.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I put the seam on the bottom of the pillow. It never occurred to me there would be a right or wrong way to do it as long as the end seam of the case is towards the center of the bed on a full size bed or larger.
    I don't know if there is a wrong or right way-that is my question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    for me, the ends of the pillowcases extend to the edge of the bed, no matter what size the bed is. i think it is really personal preference. if i received a pillowcase with a decorative edge, i would just place it whichever way shows the decoration. i don't think it matters which side the seam is on. if i had to choose, i'd put the seam at the top so it would not be felt near the neck and shoulder if i were to raise my hand there.
    That's what my thinking is. Just wondered if there was a right or wrong way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Doesn't matter to me since I flip my pillow so many times during the night to get to the cool side!
    I flip mine too. Especially during the summer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    i've made about 100 pillowcases and this is the first time i thought about it. didn't know there was a right and wrong side or an up or downside. You learn something new every day.
    I really don't know if there is a wrong or right side-that's what my question is. I guess I will do it with the seam on the top or.....not..... Whatever happens.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input. Hope I didn't cause any distress about putting the seam in the 'wrong' place.

This reminds me of the debate about which way the toilet paper should unroll. Seems like you can do it how you want to.

Blog Entries
    Top or bottom for the side seam doesn't make a difference to me. I do occasionally embroider the cuff area but always before I assemble the quilt so that the back of the embroidery is enclosed in the cuff. Happy Stitching
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

My long seam is at the bottom of the pillow......on the sheet....I just do it automatically in morning as I make the bed....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    This reminds me of the debate about which way the toilet paper should unroll. Seems like you can do it how you want to.
    Good analogy! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by homebody323 View Post
    Top or bottom for the side seam doesn't make a difference to me. I do occasionally embroider the cuff area but always before I assemble the quilt so that the back of the embroidery is enclosed in the cuff. Happy Stitching
    Do you use tear away or cut away stabilizer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    My long seam is at the bottom of the pillow......on the sheet....I just do it automatically in morning as I make the bed....
    Auto-pilot gets a lot of things done for me. Thanks for your input.