Essentials threads

Old 08-20-2023, 08:14 AM

Default Essentials threads

I get my thread from Connecting Threads. Essential threads. Now i have older thread from them that does not have ends of the plastic spool the thread comes on sticking up or below the spool itself. They do now with the newer ones.
I was using some older black thread on top with some new beige in the bobbin. worked fine. ran out of bobbin thread and filled with the older black thread on top.
then encountered matting on the back. mess. I cleaned the bobbin area and oiled it once. still the mess.
i finally gave up and put in a new needle and removed the older black thread and got out a new one. filled a new bobbin too. All is working fine now. Any ideas why it messed up??
I do not do well with problems. It's been days now since that happened and i finally got back to finishing my quilt!
50 weight thread. I think it always has been but am not sure. Can't get customer service in Connecting Threads right now to check.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I noticed the newer cotton thread is smoother then the older ones. It use to be made in Mexico but don't know if that has changed. Maybe a better grade of cotton is used now. I tossed all my old spools of it as they were all too linty. The new seems much less linty. There is a good daily deal for a set of it at the website. Look at the Stash daily deal there.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:41 PM

Thanks. almost done with the binding. about to run out of bobbin thread again of course.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:25 AM

Good to know that Essentials Thread has changed. Long ago I purchased it for the beautiful colors but I got so much lint off of it that I stopped using it. Three cheers for a better product! Thanks for the info, Onebyone.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:06 PM

Their thread used to be made in India and while it was excellent thread, it did have a lot of lint with it. If I use one of my older spools I just know I will be cleaning fluff out more often. As it's paid for I'm going to use it up. Their newer thread is much less linty.
My biggest beef with them about thread is trying to keep track of colour names/numbers. They changed some, discontinued some, there hasn't been any consistency that I've been able to see....
Old 08-22-2023, 02:05 AM

Thanks for letting us know about the change in their thread. I got some a long time ago and hated it for its linty-ness. My machine didn't like it either. Will give it a try now.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:16 PM

In case you didn’t know, CT and Superior Threads are now owned by the same owners. I suspect CT got a quality boost from know-how and processes when they picked up Superior.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Superior and Connecting Threads are owned by https://premierneedlearts.com/
Old 10-02-2023, 08:24 AM

Hello, I still have some unopened old CT Essentials thread. It says it's 50 weight on the label.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:36 AM

I buy mainly Essential Threads too but don't think I've picked up their black thread. Will keep my eyes open when using the older threads though. Thanks for the tip.