European River Cruise

Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 PM

We are going on Viking through France ("France's Finest") in April 2019. I'm so excited!
Old 09-23-2018, 03:47 PM

Ours is from Amsterdam to Budapest. I know it will be great! And tiring!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:43 AM

My brother a SIL have been on several. They love them. My SIL is very picky about things so they must be good or they wouldn't have done more than one.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:05 AM

We just got back from a Viking River Cruise on the Rhine River.
I had high expectations considering their ratings and they surpassed my expectations.
Wonderful trip!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 AM

My husband will be taking an early retirement in a little more than two years. We plan to do a lot of traveling and a Rhine River cruise is definitely on the list. I lived in Germany for several years in the late 70's and graduated high school over there. I was able to do some traveling during that time, but there are still so many places I would like to go. I did go on a couple of Rhine River cruises then and I really enjoyed them. There was an Oompah band on board and wonderful German food and drink. We disembarked in a town called Rudesheim which is known for its wine and brandy. There are many shops and restaurants/bars there and walking through the streets you get a taste of German culture, if, of course, you can overlook the many tourists. But that is to be expected. My husband traveled to Ireland and Strasbourg, France several months ago, and he was in awe of the architecture and the age and history of some of the buildings. And that really applies to many European countries. I hope you are able to visit a few castles while you're there. One of my favorite foods in Germany was schnitzel. Schnitzel is breaded veal that is fried (some people use pork) and if you add a brown mushroom gravy it is called jagerschnitzel. You have to try Black Forest cake while you are there and also I would recommend a couple of glasses of Rhine wine and Mosel wine. Don't forget to get a prescription for Meclizine from your doctor beforehand if sea-sickness is a possibility. Wear comfortable shoes. You and your girlfriend are going to have so much fun. I hope you will share the highlights of your trip when you return.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks SewingSew! What wonderful information! I will definitely share the highlights when we return.