Evac from florida

Old 09-10-2017, 07:58 AM

My thoughts exactly!!! I think if they took at least 2 south bound lanes and made them north bound for this massive evacuation then the traffic would flow a little bit better and there wouldn't be such a traffic jam.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
My thoughts exactly!!! I think if they took at least 2 south bound lanes and made them north bound for this massive evacuation then the traffic would flow a little bit better and there wouldn't be such a traffic jam.
I think the key words here are "a bit" In an area with the population density of Miami with 5.5 million people in 56 square miles with not all that many roads out, it's almost impossible to evacuate them all in any short period of time. With people wanting to take as much as they can because they realize that may be all they have when this if over, it's hard to use any kind of mass transit at all. I'm just praying that everyone is okay.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
People also want to take as many of their belongings and pets with them as possible, as well as get their cars out of the path of the hurricane.
This is exactly what my DIL did with my two grandsons (ages 3 and 4 months) and their dog Porter last Tuesday. My son in in the Coast Guard stationed in Key West but currently out on a cutter. She had to gather up as much as she could, important documents, computers, clothing and all that she could fit in her Suburu. Thankfully they are with another Coast Guard family somewhere near Savannah.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM

I think the governor did a great job. We are so sorry for all the people who faced/ are facing acts of nature ( fires, hurricanes, etc. Our prayers are with you.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
I've thought about all of this. Why don't they evac. people using the school and city busses. I guess it takes a female to think of things like that.
When busses were needed to evacuate people during Katrina, a school bus company was contacted, and showed up with many busses to do the job. Unbelievable as it sounds, many people declined to get on and get away. This was told to me by the owner of the school bus fleet himself. Why wouldn't they leave? He couldn't answer that.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 AM

I live in St Augustine, St Johns County,Florida.on the East Coast .this hurricane was wider than the state of Texas. a major one.As they were evacuating the Keys , they were getting us ready ,too.we only have 3 main interstates that leave the state. I 95, north I 75 North and I 10 West/East. they told us to start leaving Friday, the gas stations were already running out of gas.,by the time the Keys and Miami area got up here, they were backed up on the interstates for over 40 miles.I am so thankful for having a daughter that did not live in an evacuation as I do.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Our houses did not sustain any damage. Thanks to all who prayed and had good thoughts for everyone in Florida. We live in a somewhat rural area and don't have electricity yet, so no water. No flushing!! The good thing is friends took us in during the worst of the storm, and we brought our generator to help keep their refrigerator and well going. They were only without power for 12 hours. We continue to lack power and well, but the people from the energy companies are working 16 hour days. They are sleeping in a huge tent. Meals have been set up for them. Overall, things seem to be getting back to normal and people are helping people who need it. Not many complaints are heard. The first responders, police, and everyday people have made this as good as it can be. It could have been so much worse in this area.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM

We evac'd from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando using the fl turnpike....a 3 hr trip took 8 hrs.....was a nitemare...fine coming back Tuesday - no traffic...got home & no power until last nite.....the turnpike ppl were supposed to open up a southbound lane for us but never happened...couldn't gt near the few plazas for gas....bad experience...

Thanks to the men from Atlanta and Illinois for restoring our power.....worked all day in 90 degree heat,,,,,,,

Last edited by quiltybarb; 09-16-2017 at 11:47 AM.