Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine? >

Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM

There is a big out-of-control fire in the mountains north of Denver. On the local news this morning, one reporter said that when she asked a group of women who had to evacuate their homes what they took they answered....their sewing machines! The reporter said that this was a tight-knit group of sewers. I am assuming that this is an avid group of quilters. I pray for them and their houses (and their sewing stash). So my question is, would you think of taking your sewing machine if you had to evacuate your home at a minutes notice? I admit it would not have been the first thing on my mind--but now it is!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM

No...the insurance company would buy me a new one..lol.

I think I'd grab my laptop (because it has pictures in it) and photo albums...everything else can be replaced.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
No...the insurance company would buy me a new one..lol.

I think I'd grab my laptop (because it has pictures in it) and photo albums...everything else can be replaced.
LOL me too!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

1. Dog and purse
2. Sewing Machines
3. Prescriptions
4. Mats and other tools
5. Fabrics
6. Computers
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Nope. I'll take laptop with thumb drives (photos), photo albums, and box of birth certificates, insurance papers, etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Well since all of my sewing machines are vintage: Featherweight given to me by my parents when I was 12, Singer 403 that was my mother's, and a 15-91 on loan to me from a friend, I have to say that if I could, I would have to try to save them. 2 out of 3 would be easy. Grab the 403 machin head & throw it in a suitcase, grab the Featherweight case. The 15-91 is in a cabinet so it might be more challenging.

Oh - and the husband would be in charge of grabbing the CPU for our desktop computer. It has all of my business work files, family pictures, etc. on it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Hmm, great question.

I suppose if I was told in enough time to take anything and was able to drive away in my car, I probably would (once I get a sewing machine, which will be sometime this year). Then again, I like the answer about insurance buying me a new one, so it would depend on whether the thing I'm evacuating for is covered by insurance. (Natural disasters often aren't covered.)

I keep a folder of my most important papers, such as my birth certificate, so that would come with me, along with my purse and laptop. The desktop would come, too, because it's pre-Vista Windows and with a monitor that isn't one of the wide ones. I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Then there are some books I'd insist on bringing, and I suppose I ought to take some clothes. But LOL, I'd take my comfy clothes, not what I wear to work.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Last summer we packed up in preparation for evacuation and it's amazing how little a lifetime can be reduced to in terms of "stuff". Let me also add, though, that my sewing machine was currently at the shop and I was quite happy to have it there. I've bought an external back up drive and regularly run back-ups on my computer so in a hurry, I would grab that and not worry about the computer.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM

My computer hard drive would be my choice...not the whole thing. I'm like others, insurance would pay for a newer sewing machine! LOL --- oh, and my favorite pic of my kids.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
MTS
Banned

Like, really had to leave this second kind of evacuation?

Laptop and the quilt in my avatar.

I've scanned all the important documents in - they're stored in the "cloud." Wherever the heck that is.

Oh, and the other humans living here. ;-)

I was cleaning the other day (a miracle in itself) and found a paper clip on the floor and went to toss it out because I was too lazy to walk to the other room and put it in the desk drawer.

And then I thought again about how the people in Japan who lost everything - well, everything really means EVERYTHING. They don't even have a freaking paper clip.

In that context when you look around at all the crap in your own home, it's very humbling.