Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ever Notice the "ADs" below our thread comment areas? >

Ever Notice the "ADs" below our thread comment areas?

Ever Notice the "ADs" below our thread comment areas?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I noticed when I respond to stuff that they have ads for Boston blocks. I wonder if it is catching key words.
I think this site is powered by/linked to Google (Admin feel free to crrect me if I'm wrong!). I have Google gmail, and I get the same ads related to the subjects in emails people send me.

Found this info about it:

Contextual targeting
Contextual targeting is an extension of search advertising. Just as users can search for keywords on Google and see ads related to those keywords, visitors to content network sites can see ads related specifically to the content they are viewing on a web page.

How contextual targeting works
Google continually scans the millions of pages from the content network to look for relevant matches with your keywords and other campaign data. When we find a match, your ad becomes eligible to run on that page. Google's extensive web search and linguistic processing technology can decipher the meaning of virtually any content network page to ensure we are showing the most relevant ads.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Originally Posted by Boston1954
I noticed when I respond to stuff that they have ads for Boston blocks. I wonder if it is catching key words.
I think this site is powered by/linked to Google (Admin feel free to crrect me if I'm wrong!). I have Google gmail, and I get the same ads related to the subjects in emails people send me.

Found this info about it:

Contextual targeting
Contextual targeting is an extension of search advertising. Just as users can search for keywords on Google and see ads related to those keywords, visitors to content network sites can see ads related specifically to the content they are viewing on a web page.

How contextual targeting works
Google continually scans the millions of pages from the content network to look for relevant matches with your keywords and other campaign data. When we find a match, your ad becomes eligible to run on that page. Google's extensive web search and linguistic processing technology can decipher the meaning of virtually any content network page to ensure we are showing the most relevant ads.
Thank you, MissKitty...my computer Troll now has a REAL name ...Contextual Target! Good, I'll call him CT. I don't mind the ads/info popups but just wondered how they (whoever "they" is) could click on any subject spoken of and have an ad instantly. Now I know. Thank you for the info. . . . . Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the Apple guy sure have brains that weren't snoozin when they started making computers in the Allen/Gates garage way back when. Amazing!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 AM

[/quote]

Thank you, MissKitty...my computer Troll now has a REAL name ...Contextual Target! Good, I'll call him CT. I don't mind the ads/info popups but just wondered how they (whoever "they" is) could click on any subject spoken of and have an ad instantly. Now I know. Thank you for the info. . . . . Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the Apple guy sure have brains that weren't snoozin when they started making computers in the Allen/Gates garage way back when. Amazing![/quote]

No problemo! Yes, the ads are clever, but sometimes I feel like I'm being spied on! :lol:
Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Was thinking back on mare stares, and the variety of ads that would appear during those late night chats :lol: :roll: :lol:
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM

I have just noticed that although this is a US website, Google 'knows' from my IP address that I am browsing from the UK, and targets me with British ads. I was just looking at the thread about Bingo, and it was advertising a UK online bingo website. :?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM

You got a Bingo pop up because you were browsing...I wasn't browsing about HIP REPLACEMENT but was just TALKING ABOUT my DH probably needing this surgery in the near future and what do I see, Hip Replacement Surgery info on the bottom of the page....Yikes, that Troll can read minds and tap into verbal conversations!!!! :?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Was jsut wondering about this!
should we all be doing our part and click on a few each day?
I know that I had been sent infor about setting up ads on my blog.
you get paid when they are clicked on
If it will help pay for this wonderful board I can spare a few minutes and click on an ad!
Does anyone know?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM

Yes but I don't read them
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Administrator

i click on the ones that interest me. i've found a few bargains as a result. :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM

Noticed.... clever little people, and sometimes creapy !!
Guess as good a way as any to advertise !!!