Exploited?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Talk about exploited, just put 'marine' on any item and you can double the price. Boat owners really get soaked!
So do educators. :cry: :thumbdown:
Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
DH made me a thread holder, it's heavy enough to use as door stop in a tornado. I found a wood base one at a craft show and use it the most.
Your post made me laugh. Your DH's efforts reminded me of this topic...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78916-1.htm
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
Stop buying into every fad and whimsy item. Women love to shop and will buy anything.
I am selling the stash that resulted from my buying frenzies and now shop only with an item in mind. For instance, I was at a wholesalers sale today and bought only some fabrics I needed for a quilt. Ordinarily, I would have bought BIG just because it was so cheap! Prices have gone up significantly because quilters are pretty much a captive audience. We love to "brag" about our stashes even if we only accumulate. I've resigned from that and will not get caught up in it again. My money is better spent on enjoying life than being tied up on a shelf in a closet.
I'm with you Shequilts :)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM

I believe that your husband has a point. I have long contended that if men were the primary gender that used sewing machines, we would have evolved far more quickly and be far beyond in technology than we are already.

I did some woodworking a few years ago and it constantly amazed me that the prices on the equipment was so low for such great machines/tools. Any wood worker can go an buy a chisel that will last generations for the same price as blades for rotary cutters that will dull the first time they touch something other than fabric. Chisels can be honed and sharpened for a lifetime and still cut straight and true.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Limey
Originally Posted by bgullett
Just a commet on the cone holder. I do have one of those and do use it, but I also use a quart sized jar to hold my thread as well. It works pretty good. Just a suggestion.
Thank you! The goal was to save on thread by using cones. I should say that my husband teases, but never bugs me about what I spend on my hobby. The cutter was my Xmas gift. He is quite proud of my quilts and has even attended the occasional show! I think he feels the same way about men's and women's clothes; his last forever.
Limey, glad you clarified this!!! I've read posts of angry husbands who don't want their wives to have fun quilting and I pictured you with a big monster hubby lol
Glad he's supportive. Nothing wrong with his giving an opinion after all :D:D
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM

I have two machines and one cone holder so I am using a glass bear mug with a heavy bottom on it and cone just fits in it and and the mug stays put while sewing. It works great.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Like others I don't think this has anything to do with gender. Rather it has to do with specialty products. Anything that is designed specifically for a hobby use is usually overpriced in comparison to something that has multiple uses for daily life activities. All hobbies have unneccesary gadgets and junk they try and make you think you need. The key is to not get caught up in advertising and what others have. You can do a whole lot with very little. :)
you are so right! ever been to a sportsmen's show or hunting/fishing expo? There is a big difference in what you need to pursue a hobby and what you want.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 AM

I got a little battery operated / plug in bobbin winder on sale once..It looks like "just another gadget" - but it isn't! I use it every time I sew because it is easier and faster!
I would reccomend it to everybody, but there are those few who are stuffy nosed and critical who I think don't take time to think things through .... J
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 AM

To Karen<
How are you selling your stash? Are you able to get good value? Thanks - J
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My husband spends money on bullets and guns. He blows through money and has only holes on a target to show for it. At least I have a finished product that is usable. Not only that, but I can do my hobby all the time... taking it with me if I want, whereas he has to leave home and go out shooting.
Mine is the same way. When he tells me how much the ammo cost to waste at the shooting range, I don't feel so guilty about my fabric. :)