Fabric scraps for birds

Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Fabric scraps for birds

First, I'll say I'm retired and have way too much time on my hands! Yesterday, the birds were trying to gather nest making materials from some twine I used to tie up some plants, so, I went into my sewing room trash basket and and dug out some fabric scraps, selvages and what not, and tossed them onto the lawn. They were all gone this morning! How's that for recycling!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM

Excellent contribution to make a cozy nest!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Sweet. The baby birds will have scrap quilts
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I use to pass on my empty Mettler thread spool to a friend who let the birds have them. Great recycling!!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Actually, fabric scraps are not good for birds. Fabric holds on to water too long, keeping the nest damp and causing the baby birds to get sick. It is much better for birds to build nests out of natural materials, such as grasses and sticks, because these shed water rapidly. I believe batting scraps are bad for birds for the same reason. Thread is not good because it can become twisted around legs and cut off circulation. I also suspect the chemicals in unwashed fabric and unwashed batting is probably not good for them.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

i too, heard that the fabric doesn't dry quickly enough and the babysies can get pneumonia
Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Do a google search. Like everything else in our world today, there's no consensus on leaving fabric or not laving fabric out for birds to use for nest. I've seen nests with plastic and all manner of things.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

The way I learned this was on the QB when an ornithologist who quilts pleaded with us not to put fabric scraps out for birds. As for plastic, at least it sheds water and does not keep the nest damp.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:34 AM

And there are plenty of other experts who say differently. In fact, one said he walks in the woods with fabric scraps and leaves them for the birds. Just saying, experts don't agree either.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Actually, fabric scraps are not good for birds. Fabric holds on to water too long, keeping the nest damp and causing the baby birds to get sick. It is much better for birds to build nests out of natural materials, such as grasses and sticks, because these shed water rapidly. I believe batting scraps are bad for birds for the same reason. Thread is not good because it can become twisted around legs and cut off circulation. I also suspect the chemicals in unwashed fabric and unwashed batting is probably not good for them.
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i too, heard that the fabric doesn't dry quickly enough and the babysies can get pneumonia
Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
Do a google search. Like everything else in our world today, there's no consensus on leaving fabric or not laving fabric out for birds to use for nest. I've seen nests with plastic and all manner of things.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The way I learned this was on the QB when an ornithologist who quilts pleaded with us not to put fabric scraps out for birds. As for plastic, at least it sheds water and does not keep the nest damp.
Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
And there are plenty of other experts who say differently. In fact, one said he walks in the woods with fabric scraps and leaves them for the birds. Just saying, experts don't agree either.
And another round of controversy begins.