Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook has all your phone numbers!

this has been an ongoign "function" on FB.... If ppl have listed a phone # it shoes up.. I never lsited a phone nember and do not access it via my phone.... but it is wise to ck on setting freq as they love to change things around.. even if u have disabled certain functinos and setting, they are at liberty to " update" and enable things at will.....U must stay vigulant of ur security.

Blog Entries
    I just found this out this morning. I don't have a cell phone. The ones they publish are those who use their phones to access facebook. I am quite upset.

If you don't list you number on your facebook profile it doesn't show up on anyone's contact list, unless they have their phone contacts merged with facebook - in which case they have your number already and it only shows up on their list when they are logged in. My phone# is not on my profile, and even though I do use my phone to access facebook it is still not on facebook (I just checked it out on hubby's contact list)

It worked!!!!!

I just received the following message from Facebook:

As you requested, your imported contacts have been removed. Please note: if some of your friends choose to share their email or phone numbers with friends on Facebook, you'll still see their contact information in your phonebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    Thank you, thank you. I reposted this on Facebook and also done as you stated. I hope it works. It said that it may take time to remove the numbers. This is just crazy. Now I realize why some people dislike Facebook.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzytish
    ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS IN YOUR PHONE are now on Facebook. All phone numbers from your phone (FB friends or not) are published. Please repost this on your Status. <-- OMG!!! Such a violation!
    This is not a violation. Facebook asks you if it can pull from your e-mail accout information. You have to agree to this. The ONLY phone numbers that show are the contacts that you have entered with phone numbers. I have nearly 80 friends, but only 12 phone numbers show up because I didn't enter them. It also says this on Facebook:

"Facebook Phonebook displays contacts you have imported from your phone, as well as your Facebook friends.

If you would like to remove your mobile contacts from Facebook, you need to disable the feature on your mobile phone and visit this page."

("this page" is highlighted and you can easily click and disable. This is called opting out. It is quick and easy. You agreed to this when you set up your account and there is an opt out function. THis is not any type of violation).

Blog Entries
    I just got thru looking on Facebook and I DO NOT have a phone # listed and yet they have some of the numbers for relatives. Didn't get it from my phone so how else do they get this info?

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo
    I just got thru looking on Facebook and I DO NOT have a phone # listed and yet they have some of the numbers for relatives. Didn't get it from my phone so how else do they get this info?
    Your relatives probably listed the phone numbers on their profile

checked my facebook account, and nothing, but i do not access it with my cell, and frankly rarely access it at all, that is just me, i only have an account because i was trying to help my ex find his adult son, that worked, but the only thing i get, and that is on the computer is from people who want to chat, i figure if they know me they can email me or call me, so i just decline and delete, strange world out there now
    jan in palatka

Well, no they don't. I have protected my privacy by not giving that option to them. Nor are any of my relatives idiots enough the provide that info about me. Hell, I can't even find either of my daughters phone numbers there myself.

Why is it a problem if the phone number isn't unlisted?

Blog Entries
    they do not have a single phone number from my phone- i've not given facebook any information from my phone- so it has none-
    if you protect yourself- you are protected-
    if you put all your personal information out there- it's going to be public.
    this is like people getting up set about the gps capabilities of your phone-
    your phone content only goes where you send it---face book has no way to access your phone information unless you give it to them.

I just hate the way every few days or weeks there is another panic about something on faceboook or myspace etc.... relax! be careful! and think twice before you post your address, phone number, etc anywhere public -- if you don't give facebook your information - they dont have your information to share with anyone

I wanted to let people know this information just in case they didn't know that it was there. And they could do something about it if they felt the need to.

Have a fun night

I wanted to let people know this information just in case they didn't know that it was there. And they could do something about it if they felt the need to.

Have a fun night
    I didn't mean you had done wrong by sharing the information. It was a good reminder to check it out. I just hate that there is such a tendancy to panic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    ...remember in this day of high tech gangsters, if you don't want the world to know your business...don't use your cell phone like a PA system!....
    As a former cop, I cannot BELIEVE how many people put their full birthday on display...BAD IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by shnnn

Have a fun night
    I didn't mean you had done wrong by sharing the information. It was a good reminder to check it out. I just hate that there is such a tendancy to panic.
    I didn't take it that way at all. No worries. Sometimes people just don't realize who their sharing info with is all. Can't be to careful nowadays ;)

no cell phone here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    not if you don't facebook with your fone.
    good to know...

Blog Entries
    I logged on to FaceBook after being convinced by my Granddaughter...and it still confuses me. But what surprised me was about the 3rd time I logged on, I discovered about 200 people who wanted to be my "Friend" and showed their names and in a lot of cases, their pictures. And I only knew a handfull of them. Some of them were from other addresses I have, and even though I write to them now and then, I've NEVER seen a picture of them before that. Couple of them I've asked them about it and it surprised the heck out of them, knowing that their picture was on an international group. They had sent their pictures to another group of people that have no contact with FaceBook.
    There doesn't seem to be much privacy around any more, nor do most younger people seem to even know what the word means.

Wonder how long it will be until FB starts listing everyone's home phone numbers, too?

ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS IN YOUR PHONE are now on Facebook. No joke -go to the top right of the screen, click on Account, then click on Edit Friends, go left on the screen and click on Contacts. All phone numbers from your phone (FB friends or not) are published. Please repost this on your Status. <-- OMG!!! Such a violation!
    this is posted at the top of the contact Facebook page.
    Only you can see your contacts
    Your Contacts list is like a phonebook that only you can see. It includes numbers that 1) you may have synced from your phone or 2) your friends have chosen to share with you. To control who sees your contact information, visit your privacy settings.

Blog Entries
    No phone numbers on my Facebook page. It's all in the privacy settings you select. You have to check every box in the privacy sections to what you allow and don't allow.

If you put it in your profile it is there. But, if you did not it is not there. Everyone that does not want to share their phone number should get it out of their profile.

When you set up your account you don't allow what you don't want published.Also,don't play the silly games that require that the host has access to all of your friends' details and numbers as they are not yours to give.Then you should have little problem and exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    not if you don't facebook with your fone.
    I don't facebook with my phone and I checked and they are still there! It may be because I have entered these numbers in my email on their contacts info sheet . Will have to see about getting them removed. One of them is for my niece who has an order of protection against an abuser. Whoever thought this one up should be taken to the shed for a whoopin'. It would be nice if they had assumed that we didn't want to share all that info and would have had to check to allow it rather than having to check to remove it. Ann in TN

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast