Farewell until next year

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

I have never seen that before. She must be very comfortable that you are not going to harm her. I had a hummingbird feeder on the side of my porch. One day I was sitting in my big green chair in front of the sliding glass door when one of the hummers came up to the door and fluttered there for a few minutes. I was startled, then it came to the door again. I when out on the porch to see what was going on and found that the feeder was empty. I truly think the hummer was telling me to get off my tush and fill up the feeder. I was very careful to keep it filled up after that!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM

I luv the little hummers! A few years back I had a little nest in the camelia tree outside my window and was able to watch the family grow. Momma and 2 little siblings. I named them Bubba and Sissy and they grew up and flew away. The following year 2 new hummers arrived in the same tree. I'm not saying it was the same 2 but they were very friendly and stayed all year long. I did enjoy them.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

that is just too cool that you are able to hold them.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM

wonderful a touch of minature life, hard to let go I bet. I don't see too many around my house but now and then, think they go next door she puts up many feeders. LOL
Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 PM

FYI- 1.You are supposed to take your feeder down by Oct. 15 because there are some hummingbirds who will stay as long as there is a supply of food.
2. Do you know how they travel at the end of the season. They hitch a ride under the wings of geese. We watched a documentary on them once. Facinating creatures. Some many type.
Amazing that they let you hold them, let alone land that long. You are blessed by God's creation once again.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM

you are so lucky!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM

OMG I am soooooo jealous!!!!! They are my favorite birds in the world. Can you give me any pointers in attracting them? Besides the feeders?
Originally Posted by grann of 6
I have one that comes to my kitchen window to the feeder. She tells me when it is time to make fresh solution, like today. They will be leaving any day now. Mine have gotten fairly tame but have never landed on me. They were funny in the spring when they arrived before I got the feeders up. They kept buzzing up to the window and trying to get my attention. Within 5 minutes of getting the feeders out they were there feeding.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM

That is so sweet and she is close to your breast cancer ribbon on your shirt.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Ohh, so sweet!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lady-T
We spend a LOT of time out by the feeders and guess they just get used to seeing us & that we are not a threat.
We can't remember all of the birds that we get but there will be a feww that have very distinct mannerism that we learn to recognize.

This is from a hummingbirds site:
Most hummingbirds die their first year, but when they've survived a full annual cycle, their life expectancy goes up dramatically.
The record age of a banded ruby-throated hummingbird is 6 years, 11 months.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How do you get them to trust you that much?

Is there any way to tell if the same ones come back?

How long do hummingbirds usually live?
I also read that in some areas if you leave your feeder out till at least the end of Sept. or 1st week in oct. there will be a few stragglers!!! I love these little critters...ours are starting to get use to us sitting out on the deck... I hope next season we will have them landing in our hads too!!!