Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite self-care tips for "mature" bodies?

Blog Entries

Favorite self-care tips for "mature" bodies?

Part of my New Year's goals is to take better care of myself -- dietary, exercise, and also just plain maintenance and beauty.

One of my favorite tips, that I got from this board, is to use vaseline on feet to keep them soft. If you don't wear socks during the day, you can wear socks to bed. Vaseline is better than any of the specialty creams I have tried, and it's inexpensive!

For daily facial skin care, I really like NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash. It's pricey, but lasts a long time used just once a day in the shower. I don't use a full pump, but leave it on for half a minute or so before rinsing off in the shower.

For more intensive facial skin care, I like the peels from http://www.skinlaboratory.com/ . Found reviews of them and descriptions at Amazon.

For exercise, I recommend the Wii Pro-Fit with balance board. I use mostly the balance and aerobics exercises, which have been very helpful. People with better bodies may be able to make use of the yoga and strength-training exercises.

I'm also going to try out chia seeds this year and oil of oregano (both ideas found on this board!).

Anyone else have favorites?

Good for you Prism99. Sounds like reasonable changes and suggestions. With age comes perks; grandchildren, retirement, etc. You can't turn back the hands of time so it's important to enjoy yourself and do what you can to maintain. That being said, think I'll get rid of the mirrors in my house and enjoy the rest of the holiday chocolate hanging around.

Good changes you've made. Haven't heard about oregano oil? How do you use it? I started using Neutrogena products - non-oily ones - this fall and I can see a big difference. Also Alpha Hydroxy cream - even a 5% one - at night does wonders for your face and neck.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the recent thread on oil of oregano:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...o-t173622.html
    I Googled it and ordered some from Amazon to try out, mostly for aches and pains.

Will have to look up alpha hydroxy cream. Is there a particular brand you like?

sunscreen and exercise are my tips for us "mature" folks!! Of course I also lotion, cream, exfoliate, etc.

Hot tub every night loosens ans relaxes your whole body get a great nigh sleep!

Blog Entries
    I agree we need to exercise and try to eat better and hopefully we will feel better.
    Quilting in the Desert

Drink more water.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I have no tips but sure need some lol.

Get some dachshunds to live with, because laughter is good for you, keeps you young, and as the mom to four of the little scamps, believe me when I tell you that you will get plenty of exercise keeping up with them, and they will make you laugh all the time.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

Well!!!
    These tips are really helpful. I really appreciate you for sharing it!
    Keep sharing good info.
    Thanks.

thanks for the tips!
    Also for the WII, I love Exerbeat. Very good exercises, dance, aerobics and pilates, with a few fun games.
    I also got WII Zumba 2 but find it a bit fast for beginners. It is better to start off with a class or the DVD exhilarante set to start with which are Awesome!!!.

I cannot begin to explain all the benefits of tai chi, which is a very slow movement system that so improves balance, something we all need as we "mature". Check your local papers. There is often a group that meets weekly at a church or community center (we also have two groups that meet lakeside) for a nominal ($2 -5) donation or get a CD and do it by yourself at home.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I checked out this post not because I have any suggestions but because I need them! I mentioned chia seeds to dh last night and he had a fit! He said that it's just someone else trying to get money. Oh well, I'm going to try them anyway. I'm also going to do the Just Dance things that dd got for Christmas. However, I'm not going to do a bunch of them in one day like I did the first time. It took a week, linaments and several jacuzzi sessions to recover from that stupidity.
    Last edited by raptureready; 01-03-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...IDER%20VINEGAR

I have just learned the benefits of apple cider vinegar. I have been sipping diluted for 3 days, and I am actually happier, no acid indigestion.

Sunshine! Really helps the mindset - then its easier to eat healthier, get the exercise (walking, yoga) and you sleep so much better. Even on cloudy days (and the midwest has plenty) just being outside can get me through till the sun shines again. And cold is no excuse!

Banned
    To get a better night's sleep - do not use your cell nor the computer for 4-5 hours before going to bed.
    Believe me, it works

I started again on the Wii Fit yesterday. I did 30 minutes of some aerobics, usually the basic run and the obstical course. I love that one. I hadn't been on it for almost a yr and the little Wii guy was upset! Also did 7 minutes on the elliptical. That one kills me! Eating my oats with flaxseed for breakfast every day this week. I've already cut out pork from my diet. We eat turkey bacon and sausage. Got my bloodwork back and everything was in range except the cholestrol. It was 201 so i need to work on that.

As for beauty I use some Mary Kay timewise moistuizer and face cleanser. I also use some Avon because I used to sell it and have a cabinet full!
    Debra

I like coconut oil for my feet. I put it on at night with socks. Also good for lips, hands, elbows,.......shucks everywhere. lol

Blog Entries
    Hint I got from a chemist: I put Ester C tablets in my jar of moisturizer face cream and let them dissolve. Most high dollar regenerest type creams have ester c in them. I can tell a difference and save tons of money too. I am a very stark cook, meaning I don't use processed foods. Root vegetables, organic dairy, fruits and lean meats are 95% of my meals. It's really a money saver not to buy any processed or prepackaged foods. I use expeller pressed Coconut Oil instead of butter for cooking and most baking. DH took some time gradually taking away the foods he was use to. The kids had no say in the matter at all. We all lost weight, my kids thrived on the better foods, had more energy for physical activities. I think that is the main reason DH and I are healthy as we are, now that we are older.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Hint I got from a chemist: I put Ester C tablets in my jar of moisturizer face cream and let them dissolve. Most high dollar regenerest type creams have ester c in them. I can tell a difference and save tons of money too. I am a very stark cook, meaning I don't use processed foods. Root vegetables, organic dairy, fruits and lean meats are 95% of my meals. It's really a money saver not to buy any processed or prepackaged foods. I use expeller pressed Coconut Oil instead of butter for cooking and most baking. DH took some time gradually taking away the foods he was use to. The kids had no say in the matter at all. We all lost weight, my kids thrived on the better foods, had more energy for physical activities. I think that is the main reason DH and I are healthy as we are, now that we are older.
    Just wondering what is the benefit of putting Ester c tablets in your cold cream? I have never heard of this.

Blog Entries
    I have Ester C tablets, so I'm going to try putting one in my moisturizer and see what happens. Vitamin C is supposed to be *really* good for the skin! It is usually sold in little eye dropper bottles. The serum is supposed to be absorbed by the skin. (Serum is yellowish, so usually applied at night.) My understanding of Vit C, though, is that it is not easily absorbed by the skin. The serum is supposed to be in a form that makes it more easily absorbable. Not sure if the tablets will have the same effect, but willing to try!

I'm glad I started this thread, as I have gotten some good ideas from it. Going to check out Exerbeat and several other of the tips. I do better when I feel better, and I feel better when I look better, which is why one of my goals this year is to spend more time working on looking better.

Sewnbug..........when you say coconut oil......are you talking about cream for your skin? or the coconut oil that is in a solid for cooking? Funny questions huh, but I have lots of cooking coconut oil for health.......thanks.....

Blog Entries
    I just bought the Barlean's coconut oil from Amazon, but haven't used it yet. It's supposed to be for either eating (ingestion) or topical applications (skin and hair).

The chia seeds I ordered arrived! I ground some up into flour in a small coffee grinder and my dd used them in her pancakes. She placed 1 T of the chia flour in the bottom of a cup measure, then filled the rest of the cup with regular flour per usual. It didn't make a big change in the taste, but the pancakes were thicker. Tomorrow she is going to try 2 T in the bottom of the flour measure and then also add 2 more T of milk to the mix for a thinner pancake.

Well!!!
    These tips are really helpful. I really appreciate you for sharing it!
    Keep sharing good info.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast