Feeding furbabies

Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM

You dry cat food feeders may want to read this website. I don't own a cat now but the last one I had had pretty severe IBD and I did a lot of research.

http://www.catinfo.org/

I feed my dogs a modified raw prey-model diet.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Mine have dry out all the time,and they get canned 2 X a day.
Our three kitties have the same schedule. Plus they go hunting for yummies like gofers and grass hoppers.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Our cats are indoor/outdoor cats. We keep a container of dry food for them when they want to get it. About 5:00 at night they start looking at my DH with "that look" that says "where's my treat". They get those Temptations...just a few. Then at about 9:00 they start with "that look" again and they get a spoonful or 2 of wet food. They won't eat more than that but they still require it. They do hunt outside, but they don't eat what they hunt. Seriously, they bring them IN the house so we can ooh and aaah.......and so they can PLAY with the "toy"...yeah, so many chipmunks and birds in the house....ARRRRRGH! Have you EVER tried to get a baby chipmunk out of your sewing room?????? No??? Then you haven't lived yet, my friend. :mrgreen:
Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM

I have an indoor cat. She gets a measured amount of Iams hairball preventing once a day. I check her weight every now and then and adjust the amount of food if needed.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM

mine get dry free fed all day long in a automatic feeder. They get can as a treat. I knock a fork on the can and they come running.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Dry food is always available. If it even get's close to being empty, Miss Kitty will start worrying. She will also trip you if you don't fill it up. Then at 5 o'clock, the 3 of them WILL find me. I split a can of fancy feast between the three of them. Everyone is happy now...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
You dry cat food feeders may want to read this website. I don't own a cat now but the last one I had had pretty severe IBD and I did a lot of research.

http://www.catinfo.org/

I feed my dogs a modified raw prey-model diet.
And I had a diabetic who was diet controlled for several years on grain-free canned food.

Teddi is allergic to wheat and throws up canned food so we feed a grain free dry. I have to give out small portions several times a day as we are trying to help Isla lose some #s.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:52 PM

My two have dry food avail at all times, fresh water and the stinky box aka litter box scooped out twice a day! They are somewhat spoiled.
Wet food is fed on special occasions as if it is fed all the time can ruin their teeth. I feed Friskies and feed their senses
Old 05-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Wet food is fed on special occasions as if it is fed all the time can ruin their teeth.
This is actually untrue. Dry food is sticky and encourages plaque build up, wet food doesn't stick as much and the high water content keeps them healthier. I would really encourage you to read the website I posted.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 PM

My babies both have to eat the Urinary SO because one of them (Rahja, avatar), had an obstruction so no more regular kitty food for him or his sister.