felting with cat fur

Old 11-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Default felting with cat fur

i took a book out of the library that was called, "Crafting with Cat Fur"
being a cat owner, with a lot of spare fur on my hands, i had to see what it was all about.
So, have any of you ever felted with cat fur. I need to get some fur in my pile before I can
start felting a finger puppet of a cat. It's the first 'craft' they have you make. it's done the
same as regular wool. you have to use detergent to felt the fur, then pat it dry with a towel
then let it dry. you start out with a piece of cardboard, covered with tape and plastic wrap.
does anyone have any other ideas, or has anyone made one?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 AM

I have this book! It is really cute. The finger puppet is delicate but doable. Cat fur isn't as feltable as dog fur - I find it is best used as roving in needle felting (there are a few projects in the book). I sent my puppet, along with a "diy kit" of extra cat hair to a friend that works with my husband. He is allergic to cats and always enters our house bellowing "Where are those god forsaken creatures!".

Please post a picture! I didn't grab one of mine - I need to make another. I have more than enough raw material. : )
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM

I am looking at a long haired cat at the shelter. If I get her, I may need this book. Show us a picture when you make something.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Whaaaaa????
I thought I read this wrong

When Mabel (avatar) and Sonia were alive they got weekly brushings. I ended up with enough to have 2 more cats lol
Old 11-15-2019, 05:37 PM

I've never done it, but several years ago, there was a gal online, that had absolutely gorgeous jewelry out of cat and dog hair and wire. Sorry I don't remember the site.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Lynnie, what on earth are you doing to that poor sweet cat of yours???
Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM

I have used dog hair, that I felted on an art quilt, we have a pom so lots of hair around the house.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Mary, she is doing fine, and loves her brushings. i actually finally got myself a boars hair bristle brush. Zoey took one look at it, and it was hers. How can i say no to my little girl.

so As soon as i get enough, i'll start and then add the photo. this is really for when she passes, i'll have a memory of her. I'll put it in my glass front cases in front of the TV. i want to get one of those little glass domes on the wood base. She has my heart, and i'll do anything for her. she is just so sweet.
My dh thought i was crazy, but he's the one who brushes her. So now we just need a bit more of her wooly fur. it looks like that works best.

so, when i get it done, i will post pics for every one to see.

It's not all that crazy. people do their rabbit, pet llamas, dogs, ect. i saw a woman yrs ago on the net, and she made a sweater out of her shaved poodles fur.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Well it sure sounds different. I want to see it when your done,please. Glad Zoey s doing well. I'll send a note later to you. Hugs
Old 11-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

thanks for your concern, Mary. you know she's my little girl. when her time comes, I want to be prepared. I will send her ashes to a company, Artful ashes. they will make a glass globe, or a heart and add a color. her ashes will be added and will form the stars in the ball. She's very special, and has about a 18 word vocabulary. I work/play with her a lot. some of her favorite words are: dinner, treats, night-night, nap time, cake,(this is either a donut, or a blueberry muffin or orange cupcakes). icecream, pets/brush, she has other words, but these are her favorite. the first week I had her, I held her most of the day, and kept repeating her name over and over. in 3 days, when I said Zoey, she came running. needless to say, she is an indoor cat. she knows Man-bear-pig is outside, and he eats kittens. she won't go near that door. If anyone tries this, please let me know how it came out.

and Notwendy, thank you for validating me by saying that you too have the book. I know it's probably crazy sounding to those of you who don't me. ~~~~Mary