Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
fess up to your collecting rituals....... >

fess up to your collecting rituals.......

fess up to your collecting rituals.......

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 AM

I used to collect earrings, I had over 4000 pairs from all over, some from Brazil, a pair of silver and amber ones from Lithuania, etc. Now that I no longer wear jewelry I'm in the process of selling most of them. I also used to collect eggs--glass, ceramic, Ukranian. Don't do that anymore either. I have a huge collection of art supplies and rubber stamps. DD collects purses and at 11 years old has 137 of them. She also is finishing a state quarter collection that my BFF started for her in 1999. She has almost all of them now.

What do I collect now? Mostly aches and pains I do believe. Oh, DD and I collect miniature tea sets.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
roosters!!!! Oh, and quilt magazines, patterns....also painting (tole) and stained glass pattern books. DH says my hobby is collecting magazines...not doing the hobbies...LOL
Do you do stained glass? I use to til i discovered quilting.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Okay, I'll fess up to a little more, I also collect Foo dogs but I only have 4 sets. There's just something about them that I love. I think it's because as a very young girl I went to a place called Allerton Park in Monticello, Il. It actually is an old estate once owned by Robert Allerton. There was a section by the pagoda called the Foo garden. There were pillars with large cobalt blue Foo dogs that were from some "dynasty" in China. Some of them got destroyed and the rest have since been placed in a vault. They've been replaced by replicas but they're still beautiful. I think that's what started my fasination with them. [When I worked at the UofI I was fortunate enough to get to perform in a murder mystery dinner/play at the Allerton Mansion. (I was the ghost of the murder victim)]

http://allerton.illinois.edu/

And I collect unusual musical instruments. I have a mountain dulcimer, two lap harps, an antique zither, some old harmonicas and a few others. Oh, and paperwieghts. Maybe I'm not a collector as much as I am a packrat. LOL
Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Yarn, rubber stamps, baskets, old medical or nursing books, bird figurines, dust (haha), Dept. 66 Christmas Houses, Longaberger Baskets etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Lapel pins. Everywhere I travel I pick one up that represents the place.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM

I currently own nearly 100 teapots! I love each and every one of them, and am always looking for an addition to my teapot "family." I acknowledge that I have way too much fabric, but it is not a collection...its' an OBSESSION!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

On purpose: Matryoshka nesting dolls.
Otherwise: Junk mail, dust bunnies, pet hair.....
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM

I collect...Peanuts characters..you know..Snoopy, Charlie Brown.., sea shells, old dishes with pink flowers or that are colored pink and antique towels...and hankeys.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

I love anything old or antique...have a passion for small chairs/stools, furniture, odd statuary (animals & figures), anything a little ugly or grotesque, books, plants, skulls, candles, mirrors and art.

Oh, dust bunnies and the odd daddy-longlegs, often creep up uninvited!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 PM

My main thing I collect is anything dog. Really, my house is full of dog everything inside and out. Other things are animals, domestic or wild. Fish. Buttons.
This was a great post to see what others collect. Thanks for
posting :thumbup: