Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
figuring out/deciding what works best -- >

figuring out/deciding what works best --

figuring out/deciding what works best --

Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM

I've stopped building a stash with whatever hits me at a moment. I've wound up with two many items that won't play with each other and have just donated a huge amount to charity. (I don't even want to think about the dollar amount.) Now I only buy by the project. It's more economical for me, but I still overbuy.

Last edited by eimay; 01-15-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Eimay, I love it when I ask for suggestions from staff at LQS'S and they give them! Lots of times I may walk right by a line of fabric that would be perfect in my quilt, but I may not even notice it without it being pointed out.
I think the best thing I have learned through the years is to have an open mind and listen to others. it's amazing what you can learn if you are open to trying something new.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM

I was just having a similar conversation with a longtime friend about how differently I quilt now than I did years ago. I feel a large part of that is due the support and encourage I have found on this board.

Years ago, I was fortunate enough to belong to a quilt group of extremely talented, but very particular, ladies who made show quality quilts. I also had the opportunity to take classes from several well known quilters. I am thankful for many of the skills and techniques I learned during that time. However, I was also heavily influenced about the "right" way to quilt, and feel that it limited me as a quilter. I ended up taking several years off from quilting, and only started up again about a year ago.

I realize now I have no interest in making show-quality quilts--I want to make quilts that will be used, misused, abused, and, above all else, loved. Quilts with coordinating fabrics are beautiful, but I would rather throw any fabric I have into the scrappy quilts I now realize I truly love to make, no matter where I got the fabric. I have no problem using thrifted sheets as a backings. I refuse to spend hours with a seam ripper taking apart a seam that is the tiniest bit off to make it perfect, when I could instead make 3 more blocks. My fmq has gone from awful to mediocre. With more practice, it may even reach the "not bad" stage one day. I'm working my way through my stash and my UFOs, even if it means giving them away or throwing them out, and I feel a weight being lifted.

I am not only a more productive quilter, but I enjoy it so much more than I did before, which in turn makes me happier overall.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
I was just having a similar conversation with a longtime friend about how differently I quilt now than I did years ago. I feel a large part of that is due the support and encourage I have found on this board.

Years ago, I was fortunate enough to belong to a quilt group of extremely talented, but very particular, ladies who made show quality quilts. I also had the opportunity to take classes from several well known quilters. I am thankful for many of the skills and techniques I learned during that time. However, I was also heavily influenced about the "right" way to quilt, and feel that it limited me as a quilter. I ended up taking several years off from quilting, and only started up again about a year ago.

I realize now I have no interest in making show-quality quilts--I want to make quilts that will be used, misused, abused, and, above all else, loved. Quilts with coordinating fabrics are beautiful, but I would rather throw any fabric I have into the scrappy quilts I now realize I truly love to make, no matter where I got the fabric. I have no problem using thrifted sheets as a backings. I refuse to spend hours with a seam ripper taking apart a seam that is the tiniest bit off to make it perfect, when I could instead make 3 more blocks. My fmq has gone from awful to mediocre. With more practice, it may even reach the "not bad" stage one day. I'm working my way through my stash and my UFOs, even if it means giving them away or throwing them out, and I feel a weight being lifted.

I am not only a more productive quilter, but I enjoy it so much more than I did before, which in turn makes me happier overall.
Exactly. Love your way.