Filler for a Dog Bed

Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Filler for a Dog Bed

I have a lot of outdoor material that I got with some other fabric I got off of craigslist and was thinking about making dog beds for our furbabies. I was trying to think of an inexpensive filler (3 large dogs) and for whatever reason, i just thought of kitty litter. It is absorbent and deodorizes and probably 3-4 large bags would fill one bed. Plus every so often, I could empty and replace it. Of course i would contain it in a larger bag inside of the cover.

Has anyone thought of this or done this? Is it a totally dumb idea?
Opinions please?

Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM

I thought of that too, but then changed my mind. The vet suggested cedar shavings, the kind you buy for hamsters, etc. You can buy bulk at a feed store. He said it would help keep the flea population also.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 PM

The amount of cat litter you would need for a large dog would be very heavy.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 PM

And....when it gets wet (and it will)...it makes a VERY BIG MESS.....I found this out the hard way last winter when someone told me it makes a good "de-icer".....NOT! I would fill it with bits of left over batting cut in small pieces, fabric scraps...anything but cat litter.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 AM

I fill an inner bag with the plastic bags and cover that with soft material. Every once in a while you can just fluff them up and they get puffy again. When it gets too flat empty and refill. No shortage on those pesky plastic bags.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 AM

I second the cedar shavings.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 AM

Kitty litter would be very heavy. It doesn't sound very comfy to sleep on. Also it can get expensive
Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
And....when it gets wet (and it will)...it makes a VERY BIG MESS.....I found this out the hard way last winter when someone told me it makes a good "de-icer".....NOT! I would fill it with bits of left over batting cut in small pieces, fabric scraps...anything but cat litter.
I had that same experience with cat litter. I used a little on my deck last winter. It did the job, but what a mess! I didn't get rid of it until I had the deck power washed.

I save all my trimmings from quilting and give them to one of my guild members. She gives them to a group that uses them to fill dog and cat beds. They are nice because they are small so don't make big lumps in the beds It is amazing how fast I build up a good amount of trimmings.

But if I were doing it for my own dog, I would probably go with the cedar shavings.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 AM

Non-clumping kitty litter is ok for snow and ice, we also use it to soak up oil spills. I use old clothing, scraps, etc., for pet bed filling.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Not only would it be heavy, but it would cost a fortune. Cat litter is not cheap