Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fires are commonplace at my school! >

Fires are commonplace at my school!

Fires are commonplace at my school!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM

No matter where the fire is, it is tragic. It scares me so badly. We had a house fire when I was small and I've seen lots since. I pray for the sickO who puts this fear in people like me who just shivers each time the thought passes our minds. You'll never forget fire. You will just never forget. Glad you have guards, shame it comes to that. Senseless crimes, but you'll catch them and all will end well. Keep the faith and thank the good Lord for TEACHERS.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM

There is some nut in East Texas that is burning churches. I think a total of 11 now. They are spread out over our area. SO far none where I live but several in Tyler & the latest in Wills Point, a small town where I lived till the 6th grade. There are some sick SOB's in this world. You can bet it is a kid. Most arsonist are usually young less than 30 years of age.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Wow Misty! Where are you in Colorado? I didn't hear anything on the news about that. Glad you're okay, with that kind of atmosphere, I'd start keeping my stuff on me at all times
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM

I work in Risk Mgmt. One suggestion I can give, is take a tote to work, every day when you get there, put your stuff in that tote, then if you have any type of fire/tornado alarms, you can just grab the tote and know that everything personal is inside.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM

So hard to even fathom what cold go through someones head to start a fire. In Southern California, when it's dry, a fire can burn thousands of miles before it can be controlled.
Is it possible that it is students who are hoping school will be canceled? Not a pretty option, but seems likely to me.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I, too, work in a middle school and when people ask me how my year is going I tell them I am having a great year--I haven't been assaulted, had a weapon brought into the library, had my family threatened, or had my car windows smashed out (in the school parking lot during the middle of the day). All happened to me last year.
ugh. please stay safe. can you give a spare set of keys to a neighbor (just in case) after your husband deploys?

Rose Hall
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't tape a spare key to my car if I were you. Too easy for the kids to find and steal your car. I keep my keys on a lanyard around my neck. I'd try that if I were you. Keep your classroom keys and a spare car and house key on it. Keep a jacket or a quilt in your car just in case. Hopefully they'll find the arsonist or one of the other kids will rat him/her out.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm not a fan of leaving anything in my car, not even small change for parking. The lanyard is a great idea. When I was shopping yesterday our local pharmacy had really beautiful bead lanyards for i.d., keys etc.

Rose, what a horrible lot of things to happen...and we all thought teaching was one of the "gentler" occupations. Not any more it seems.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Sadly, the days when teaching was one of the "gentler" jobs are gone. Parents today do not teach their children to respect their teachers. Also, some of the folks who have gone into teaching don't deserve the title of teacher and it is always those ones who make the news. I have had, in my career, students threaten to hit me, threaten to kill me, swear at me, run out of the room, throw temper tantrums. Have had parents swear at me, threaten to hit me and threaten to kill me. Fortunately the kids I have now are sweethearts and haven't done any of the above.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM

I hope the school district invests in some closed circuit cameras. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the school. Make yourself a little purse that you can carry around your neck with all your important IDs, keys and cell phone. It's too bad and I hope they find the culprit soon before he/she causes major loss of property or lives! Be safe.