First day of kindergarten

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
When my (only child) son went to kindergarten the first day, he confidently got out of the car, said good-bye, and walked of to the school building. No tears, no look back, nothing. I was very proud of him, but I was crushed at the same time. I was glad he was strong enough to go ahead on his own, but I had hoped he would at least turn around and wave good-bye or something.
When my youngest daughter went to kindergarten, she didnt want me to walk her to her class and she got out of the car went running up to the school door and tried to open it but couldnt as she was just a tiny little thing and I went to get out of the car to go open the door for her and she got flat out mad at me and told me that she was a big girl and she could open the door herself. She struggled and struggled and I was starting to get impatient and worried that she would slam the door on her arm or leg as it was so heavy and all of a sudden the door opened up for her and it was her Grandpa opening it for her (my dad was the head custodian at the school) and so my daughter yells "I GOT IT MOM GRANDPA HELPED ME". And off she went. She used to hang out with her grandpa at school...well I should say more like grandpa hung out with her and made sure she knew where she was supposed to go and stuff. That was 25 years ago as yesterday she turned 30 years old. One memory I had of her kindergarten days was she had kindergarten in the afternoons and every night she would call her grandpa and tell grandpa not to forget to pack her lunch too. And don't forget the milk. LOL And he would pack her a lunch and a thermos of milk they would share and she would sit and have lunch in the custodians room with him. :)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 AM

Aren;t children so precious.I cried the first day with both my children and then with my grandson.It is such a turning point in their lives
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Nice of her to come over to your house last night!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 AM

Oh, he sounds like a precious one! I did not cry when either of mine started Kindergarten but college was a whole different matter!:)
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 AM

lol...dakotamaid...me too!! Mine loved school and I still remember how quiet the house was that first week they were both in school. I think of bologna sandwiches when I think of my elementary school. Never ate the stuff but I think every other kid did...smells horrible even in my memory!

Hope your sweet little neighbor has a great first school year!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I remember when my kids went to kindergarden. I cried also. Hope he gets off to a good start.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM

My youngest daughter was a thumb sucker. All summer before kindergarten, we had been telling her that big girls that go to school don't suck their thumbs. On the 1st day of school, all the parents & kids met in the auditorium. The teachers then called each child in her class & marched the kids out of the auditorium. While we were sitting waiting for her name to be called, she was sucking MY thumb :D . Hey, she wasn't sucking her thumb! I still laugh about that; she's now 45 yo.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Little Hayden came over after his first day of school...sat on the couch with my husband to tell my husband all about his first day.
He says his teachers name is Mrs. He can't remember the rest. But he learned that in kindergarten he will learn a whole big lots of stuff. LOL. Today he learned how to play Horsie not sure what that is and how to hold onto shoulders. Hold onto Shoulders? What is that my husband asked. And Hayden says that they have to line up to go outside or to the library and they have to put their hands on the person in front of you's shoulders so we don't get missing and everyone goes to the same place. LOL He is so cute trying to explain his first day. My husband asks him if there are girls in his class and he shrivels his little face up and says "yes alot of them". LOL Do you sit by a little girl? NOPE I SIT BY A BOY.lol.OH and we have 2 bathrooms in our classroom that we use so that we don't get lost in the hallway. LOL.
And tomorrow is another day..wonder what he will tell us tomorrow. :)