Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fleece Blanket...need advice

Blog Entries

Fleece Blanket...need advice

OK, so I bought fleece blanket to make a quick present. I was thinking of using just one layer for several reasons. So can I cut fringe and leave it be, or do I have to do something else with it? Most of the YouTubes have two layers and tie the friinge or do something to hold the two pieces of fleece together. But since I have only one layer of fleece...? I can pink the edges, but I really did want the look of the fringe. Suggestions? Thanks!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

You can follow these directions. I agree about the look of fringe.
    http://projectlinus.org/patterns/pdf/NoSewFB.pdf

I would just treat it like you're are using both pieces when they give the instructions for the cutting of the fringe and not tie it together. If you like you can put a knot on each fringe cut to make it look more "fringe-y" looking.

Tricia
    http://tricia-ramblingsofaquilter.blogspot.com/
    Currently working on a "Flat Curtis" Quilt with boy child .

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I am not a big fan of the double fleece and tie method. I use at least 1.5 to 2 yards of fleece. I buy blanket binding and edge the fleece. A warm blanket with the satiny edge. Good luck
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

I have a rotary blade that is available at JoAnn's. Can perforate about 1/4" from the edge and do a single crochet around the edge. Can utilize the entire piece of yardage for covering up instead of decoration. No fringe though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've done them with machine blanket stitch and also with a binding. Each way was fine, but this time I just thought the fringe was the way to go. The videos helped...one day maybe I'll get ahead on all my projects and try the crochet. Thanks for the links! I knew folks here would know exactly what to do, and the best ways of doing it! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I have a rotary blade that is available at JoAnn's. Can perforate about 1/4" from the edge and do a single crochet around the edge. Can utilize the entire piece of yardage for covering up instead of decoration. No fringe though.
    That is what I do with fleece gifts, do not like to fringe with a big knot--OUCH, if you set on them. The Project Linus version would be the way to go for me, no big knots at all.

No you do not have to tie the fringe. I have done a couple that I just cut the fringe and call it finished. They wash up nice also.

Well I am glad I didn't know you had to use 2 layers. I made my mother a fleece lap throw for her naps and used 1 layer and cut fringe. I tried to tie it but they just come untied and looked awful. I just used short fringe and left it that way. She loves it.
    Lynda

This may not pertain to the original post but consider where your fleece cover will be laundered. If it will be in a care facility, their laundry is pretty rough on things. I've seen fleece covers with ripped off fringe that became less than attractive for use. There was one that apparently the fringe got caught somehow and the cover was terribly torn, still usable but not very attractive. Too, if it's for use in a wheelchair, the dangling fringe can get caught in the wheels/spokes.

Blog Entries
    It will be for my son. They have their own washing machine, so I think that will be okay. Good point about the wheelchair, Illinois, and will remember that for any I make for elders. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis41 View Post
    You can follow these directions. I agree about the look of fringe.
    http://projectlinus.org/patterns/pdf/NoSewFB.pdf
    Thank you sew much, I saw this years ago and had forgotten it.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    We used to get a lot of these for Project Linus and the double fleece were real heavy.....too heavy!