Fleece buttonholes

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Default Fleece buttonholes

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I always get the best quilting help here... And I don't really do much other sewing, so I am not familiar with other sewing sites.

A friend has asked me to sew some buttons on his trench coat, and also asked if I could put a button hole in his scarf so that he could attach it to his collar. I looked at the scarf tonight and it is two layers of fleece sewn together.

I have been googling around and leaned a bit about sewing with fleece, but I didn't really find anything that gave details on using a machine that has a buttonhole foot. Does anyone have experience with button holes and fleece? From what I read it sounds like I might need some wash-away stabilizer, and polyester thread was recommended.

I haven't even used the buttonhole foot yet, so I will experiment before attempting it with his scarf. Any advice is appreciated!!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 PM

I wouldnt bother using stabiliser, unless you use the very lightest weight, if two layers tack the two layers together, ifyou have a machine where you clip your button on the back and the machine will automatically create a buttonhole the exact size and follow instructions in anual.if not place your button on your fabric and mark either side of the button. This will be the size of the opening. Check manual for the recommended stitch/length and width for narrow zig zag. Start at the top zigzag from one mark to the other, increase stitch width, and decrease length to 0 stitch 5-6times to mke a bar tack finish with needle atfar right keep needle in fabric, lift presser foot, pivot until your libe of stitching is on your left, reduc stitch width and stith back to first mark increase width again and bar tack, finish off stithing and remove from machine.place a pin just on the inside of each bar tack, use seam ripper very carefully cut between your two long lines tking care not to cut into bar tack, you should now have a buttonhoke.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 AM

Another option might be a " bound buttonhole".

Good Luck,
Hugs, Drue
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

If it is the fleece that doesn't fray or run, I would just straight stitch (a couple of times) a little rectangle slightly longer than the button and cut it open. A zig zag buttonhole may cause the 2 layers of fleece to ripple?