Fleece facts

Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM

>>

On another post that asked about working with fleece, I supplied a link to an outlet that specializes in Malden Mills Polartec Fleece: http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/.

This site supplies some good information about working with fleece; e.g., what needle to use. You can also order fleece from them; get on their mailing list to hear about sales. Although their price/yard may seem high in comparison to (for example) Joann's, there is definetely a difference in quality! The Joann's fleece has a much different feel, pills over time, and so on.

At one time, before financial problems forced the original owner to sell the mill, Malden Mills used to hold remnant sales twice a year where the public could searc through boxes and boxes of fleece odds & ends that ran from 6" to 10' long. The sale was held in one of the original, very old, mill buildings where they supplied these enormously long plastic bags (8 feet, at least) that you filled up with your fleece treasures.

As the bags were filled, dragging them around to look in other boxes, was quite an adventure! I never knocked anyone over but knew they'd fall into a nice cushy box of fleece if I did hit anyone accidentaly. These sales were really fun ("fleecers" are like quilters, good natured, and the employees were great) and I miss them terribly!!

When ownership of Malden Mills changed, their retail store closed. However, those employees opened an outlet, supplying fleece from the mill. I haven't been to their store in person, as yet, but have ordered online and have been very happy. (Note, I am not affiliated with this store or Malden Mills.)

If you go to their website, listed above, click on the FAQs tab on the right to find really good information on working with fleece.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Thank you for the link! And I really enjoyed reading your 'background' information!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Oh I remember those days well! I think I still have some of the fleece pieces that I dragged around in my plastic bag. My sister and I could hardly fit in our car for the drive home to NH, since it was so packed with fleece!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Oh I remember those days well! I think I still have some of the fleece pieces that I dragged around in my plastic bag. My sister and I could hardly fit in our car for the drive home to NH, since it was so packed with fleece!
A friend and I would go together; we each owned an SUV at the time. Holy moley, did we pack those cars!! I still have enough at home to open my own shop. She was "worse" than I was when it came to stocking up. Instead of dragging the bags around, she'd pick out a spot on the floor, start piling her finds in a pile that I'd guard. When I got tired, I'd flop onto the pile! :-) Happy memories!