Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fold up shopping bags

Fold up shopping bags

In Australia single use plastic bags have now been banned so no more getting caught short without a bag to put my shopping in. I had a few but none of them folded up and fitted into my handbag when not in use. The first photo shows full size with the pocket in the front where the bag fits into

Name:  SANY0002 (2) - Copy.JPG
Views: 1096
Size:  1.19 MB

This photo shows the bags folded up into themselves

Name:  SANY0001 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  1.28 MB

Very handy! I wish plastic bags were banned here in the U.S. I love the idea of fitting them into a purse.

Beautiful bags! What a great idea! Is there a tutorial or was this of your own design? I sure would like to make some.

Single use plastic bags are no longer used here in the UK either, but stronger 'bag for life' bags are used, and are replaced by the supermarket when no longer strong enough to carry items. Most people that I know use these bags, or bags that they have made themselves, baskets, fold up bags etc.
    All countries should ban these single use bags, it is amazing how quickly you can get used to using other types of bag.
    I use some fabric bags, and wash them when looking a little grubby.
    Now, if only the supermarkets would cease wrapping every and any vegetable, in plastic that would be awesome. I try to buy loose veg, and take paper bags to put them in. Some supermarkets will be pleased to place your meat/fish purchases in your own containers too - wonderful.

No, sorry! I like the plastic bags! I reuse them for all kinds of things and would really miss them. I do shop in one grocery store that doesn't give them and I do bring my own totes there.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: remove political statement

Power Poster
    Cute bags! I have switched to shopping totes also to do my part in reducing plastic pollution.

I love these fold up bags. Very cute and handy.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2019 at 12:28 AM. Reason: remove political statement
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very nice. Also checkout Atkinson Designs for her new pattern "Simple Sack".
    https://atkinsondesigns.com/products...ck-pdf-pattern

About 30 years ago, I made large shopping bags to use when grocery shopping. Now, the baggers remark about how handy they are, and I cheerfully tell them the bags are older than they are!

Reusing fabric bags for groceries is not for me. The bags will have to be washed after each use. I buy brown paper bags in bulk and use those. I don't reuse them.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Is there a free pattern for these? Thanks

Will be watching this post for a pattern.

Unfortunately I cannot locate the tut that I used. I suggest just "googling" reusable fold up shopping bags".

Blog Entries
    Like carolynjo I used fabric bags for years...in fact the clerks ask me where they are when I've forgotten them..I grocery shop every 10-14 days and wash them once a month. Like everything else once you get into the habit.

I patterned mine after the standard size paper grocery bag.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    yes, these are very handy and easy to make
    Mary

I have just found this site. The pocket is at the top of the bag but otherwise it is similar.

https://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/2...ocket.html?m=1

I hope it helps those looking for instructions.

I have made a few, but find that the cotton ones don't fold up quite small enough for my purse. We have some nylon/parachute cloth type ones, that end up much smaller folded up.
    Most stores here in the lower mainland of BC will charge you $.05/per bag if you want a plastic one. It is all about reducing the plastic waste.... we carry extra bags in the vehicle, and I carry a backpack each time I shop.... it's good, now that we are used to it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Karen for the link

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the link

We do like thimblebug6000 backpack each time we shop and we carry bags in the vehicle. I have one folding bag in my purse but making some would be possible gifts as I have some fabrics to use which are not my preferred choice for making quilts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I have made a few, but find that the cotton ones don't fold up quite small enough for my purse. We have some nylon/parachute cloth type ones, that end up much smaller folded up.
    Most stores here in the lower mainland of BC will charge you $.05/per bag if you want a plastic one. It is all about reducing the plastic waste.... we carry extra bags in the vehicle, and I carry a backpack each time I shop.... it's good, now that we are used to it.
    I have made bags with batiks which seem to fold up pretty small.

Leslie

My reusable bags and totes all go in one bag which goes with me into the store or if I'm going for just a few things, I grab the bags I want to use. They get washed at least once a month of when they get grubby.
    Biggest problem is my foldable grocery totes aren't washable. They do get aired and wiped with a damp cloth when needed.
    As long as the bags and totes don't get anything spilled or leaked onto them I figure they are as clean as anything else that comes into my house.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Shabby Fabrics has a free pattern and "how-to" video on how to make a fabric grocery bag that rolls up for storage. This ample sized bag is secured with a stretchy hair band that you sew into the bottom seam. Not lined, but seams are finished so that they do not fray. Very easy.

I love the plastic bags. They are in plentiful supply around here. I use them for lots of things, the ones that tear or I can't use I take back to the store to be recycled.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I take a bag or two into Wal-mart. usually put groceries into them after the clerk puts them into plastic. i do use the plastic ones when i toss out my cats Styrofoam dishes I feed them from every morning. keeps the large garbage can clean. I don't carry a purse anymore. just stuff my pockets!

Blog Entries
    I used fabric bags since the late 80's living in LA California WhenI came back to Indiana no one at the stores knew what to do with them
    catherine antone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast