Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Found something that is helping my IBS and "foggy brain" problems...... >

Found something that is helping my IBS and "foggy brain" problems......

Found something that is helping my IBS and "foggy brain" problems......

Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

and just wondering if others have tried this. It is a probiotic by the name of VSL#3. It seems to be helping my IBS (cutting down on dairy may be helping as well), but the unexpected side effect seems to be that my "foggy brain" syndrome is gone. I am thinking maybe it is helping absorption of micro-nutrients important for brain function -- not sure.

I've had IBS for about 20 years and "foggy brain" continuously for maybe 10 years. I've been on the VSL#3 for 2 weeks and it is surprisingly how different (better) I feel! I thought maybe it was just a 1-day or 2-day respite, but it seems to be continuing. Keeping my fingers crossed........
Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

:thumbup:
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Probiotics are great! I just wanted to mention that dairy can also cause "foggy brain" symptoms in some people. You may want to eliminate dairy altogether for awhile and see if you feel even better.

Keep taking those probiotics, too! They will keep you healthy and feeling better.

Glad to hear you are finding some relief. :)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Where is VSL#3 available? Does it have any other name? Imay give it a try if I can find it. So glad to hear that is helping you. It is always such a relief to find something that helps without having to take another "drug"
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Happy to hear that you found something that works for you :D:D:D
Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM

:thumbup:

anything all natural is sooo much better than chemical fix it alls

you found something great keep it up!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM

I make and drink a lot of Kombucha. This stuff is supposed to be teeming with probiotics. I've grown to like it a lot, and can control how sharp I want it.
And also make milk Kefir, put what looks like a giant clump of cottage cheese into a pint of milk, stuff on top of fridge, tomorrow I have what tastes like buttermilk. Remove Kefir chunk and do this again. Works on goat milk also. I don't like regular milk, very little in oatmeal.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Where is VSL#3 available? Does it have any other name? Imay give it a try if I can find it. So glad to hear that is helping you. It is always such a relief to find something that helps without having to take another "drug"
It's listed on Amazon; take a look at the reviews there. However, it's better to buy directly from their website because it needs to be refrigerated during shipping (and stored in the frig).

Here's the link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/VSL-Potency-Pr...dp/B0014R4RZW/

and here's the link to the place where I bought mine (single bottle came in a huge box with 2 ice packs and styrofoam encasement):
http://www.vsl3.com/
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I should mention that I had tried probiotics before, including the best refrigerated type I could find in the whole foods store, without noticing any improvements.

My 95yo mil's doctor prescribed FloraStor for her, which she couldn't get locally, so I went on Amazon to order it for her. It was when I was reading the reviews about FloraStor that I stumbled on the comments about VSL#3. For anyone who is interested in reading those reviews, here is a link to FloraStor on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Biocodex-Flora...dp/B000NB1OMO/