Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fourth of July and watermelon >

Fourth of July and watermelon

Fourth of July and watermelon

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 AM

Went camping with DH and 2 BIL and SIL's. Plus SIL's kids and grandkids. Had a great time relaxing by the lake and good conversations. Great time, but a long car ride, 7 hrs each way. But worth it. No parades, but lots of fireworks across the lake.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 AM

Quiet weekend and much needed. Swimming, lunch with family and watched fireworks from DC on TV. Burn ban and no local fireworks this year. Quietest year we've ever spent but it was good!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 AM

I didn't do much - and that, for me, was a holiday from all the critically important things I have to do right now.

I did manage to see some fireworks. Have to say that I was disappointed at how short they were. Only 20 minutes, and this was at Valley Forge. They weren't all that well done, either. There were some attempts at shapes and effects that didn't do what was intended. At the end, they let off so many at once that some made white spots so bright, we had to cover our eyes and look away. Still, they were fireworks, and a few were quite beautiful.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 AM

With family
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 AM

Quiet 4th this year as we the past few weekends were busy with family get togethers and visits. Just DH and I and we were planning to BBQ a hot dog and hamburger each but it kept raining on and off so we'll do another time when it's really BBA weather and we can sit on our deck and enjoy our food.

Love the idea of bacon and tomato sandwiches, can't wait until the big beefsteak Jersey tomatoes are ripe so I can enjoy them. Only buy bacon once a year for them and we really have them for dinner, lunch and whenever. Have to buy white Wonder Bread for them too, it makes the best toast. May in Jersey
Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by countrycottage
Our family wasn't able to have our usual Fourth of July celebration this year -- some had to work and others were out of town. But my 12-year-old granddaughter and I bought a big seedless watermelon at Wal-Mart, made bacon/tomato sandwiches using fresh tomatoes from our garden, and had our own celebration. This was the first seedless melon I've purchased -- it was delicious. How did you celebrate?
That's a great way to celebrate! Perfect!