Free Ebooks

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This only works if your library cooperates. Mine doesn't.
Now that's no fun!!! Do they think this option is in their future?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 PM

try "project gutenberg", as well. they have a lot of classic literature on their site, from a multi-volume history of england right down to the original "wizard of oz". they can be downloaded onto your computer, and then onto your reader. they can be read from the web, as well. they have g.k. chesterton, they have translations of the bible. they have kid's stories, they have things like dickens' works.

i agree--free is fabulous!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Now that's no fun!!! Do they think this option is in their future?
I'm not sure, the last time I checked was about 6 months ago. The attitude I received from the librarian was very unfriendly; apparently she considered it a copyright violation and was offended that I'd even asked. I was surprised; I consider our library system one of the better ones in our region, in the past we've passed the levies and bonds with enthusiasm and have plenty of other high-tech gadgetry in all the branches.

Last edited by Peckish; 04-25-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 AM

I can check books for my nook out at my library and they are in with about 20 other libraries they share with. If I borrow from the shared ones it's only a 14 day check out. If I borrow from my library it's a 21 day check out. You had better have the book read by the time it's due back because it automatically checks back in.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
yes, there are a few free ebook sites....but something I have learned "after the fact"......a lot of the authors I personally prefer to read are not available on the free side, have to purchase book....even at the local library site many of these authors-publishers do not participate in the ebook genre so possible ebook buyer beware.......I have read a few of the free books offered and frankly the authors are mediocre-seem to be young writers looking for a following....so I will still be going to the library for real books.........and Kindle is not the wonderful

little thing I thought it would be........
I have only found 2 new authors on the free books that I want to read more of their books. However, I like the convenience of the kindle even if I have to buy the books. I like the weight, the small size and the fact that I can change the font size. I consider it a easier to take than a book is, easier to hold in bed to read, and certainly easier to dust.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not sure, the last time I checked was about 6 months ago. The attitude I received from the librarian was very unfriendly; apparently she considered it a copyright violation and was offended that I'd even asked. I was surprised; I consider our library system one of the better ones in our region, in the past we've passed the levies and bonds with enthusiasm and have plenty of other high-tech gadgetry in all the branches.
Maybe you could go "above" or "around" the librarian to the director or the library board and have better luck. Surely you are not the only person to desire this service! And if it were a copyright issue, how do so many other libraries get around it? I think she is stuck in a time warp!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I love "free"! lol

Norma
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Maybe you could go "above" or "around" the librarian to the director or the library board and have better luck. Surely you are not the only person to desire this service! And if it were a copyright issue, how do so many other libraries get around it? I think she is stuck in a time warp!!!
It is not a copyright issue as long as the library purchases the license to lend the books. Some of the publishers are getting kind of funny about the libraries lending the books. I guess that they think that if the book is available to library patrons, they won't sell as many books. The library can only lend the book to one person at a time per license. It must be returned before they can lend it again. This is really the same as the hard copy books, so I don't know why they are making such a fuss. Our library has stopped getting digital books from one publisher (I don't recall which one.) because they were limiting the number of check-outs per license. They were requiring the library to keep buying new licenses after a certain number of check-outs.

Norma