Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Friends in Japan,  is there anything we can do? >

Friends in Japan, is there anything we can do?

Friends in Japan, is there anything we can do?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM

I think we all have been watching the news and feeling small and helpless about the tragedies in Japan. I just had a thought and was wondering what we could do to help. Maybe some of our quilting friends that are over there could give us some ideas.

Does anyone know of a company or charity that is taking quilts over there maybe? I know it would be quite expensive to send them over individually and we would not have a way to get them to the people that need them, anyway. There has to be some way to send something besides money.

So anyway, if anyone has any ideas, maybe we can brainstorm and figure something out. We are not just a bunch of quilters, we are international, of all ages, and I am sure, very smart people. So what do you think?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Donations through Red Cross our best bet now. They need food and water desperately. Could do raffles at local levels through guilds, church, etc. to raise funds. If you have a Japanese Consulate nearby you might call them for their recommendations. I am doing that tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM

http://crafthope.com

It's a non=profit crafting organization...they are currently mulling over options (shipping etc)...I just read it on their facebook page.

I'm sure Red Cross would be the immediate way to help...but maybe later we can donate the quilts and other crafty stuff that they may need.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM

there is also www.shelterboxusa.org
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

I think it's winter there, and when the earth stops shaking and people are urged to go out on their own, then is when they will need everything. Everything that they used to live a decent life.
The cold is setting in with snow starting, I just read on the Internet. People are being let go back to what is left of their homes, if anything. Most will have to return to public shelters, and no mention was made of small children.

I think that money given to the Red Cross would be the fastest way of helping them. I used to be on the local board of the Red Cross, and at such times, such as this, money could be spent closer to shipping and air ports so needed supplies could be sent faster. And of course the International Red Cross will send helpers too, as well as blankets, food and medicines. Later can come the quilts and lap quilts that would be marvelous for small children in harsh weather.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM

It's important to help now, but even more important to help later, when people feel most abandoned. Right now money is the only thing you can give because the public are not allowed in the affected areas. Consider a donation to the Red Cross, as their supplies will be running out soon, if not already. Later we might be able to help the people in the stricken areas with something more personal.
People have been evacuated to various public buildings and are at least under a roof and receiving basic services. But in a matter of days, they have to go somewhere and that will be a new strain on local resources. The search for survivors will take a long time and the death count will be staggering. Bear in mind that many survivors are elderly and may have lost most or all other family members.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 PM

I think the most important thing to do is pray. Second,donate money if you can, and third, we can start on quilts to give when the opportunity arises.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 AM

I too have been searching for something I can do, but I don't see anything different. Luckily, we work at a Toyota plant and I am sure they have direct connections. They have promised $35 million, as well as matching employee donations.
I just hope they don't put all of their money into one organization, especially after what we saw, and are still seeing with the people of Haiti. That is down right shameful to me and I was a long time volunteer with them.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:41 AM

there is this thread here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108059-1.htm

there is the CafePress shirt - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107847-1.htm

I may dig through my stash to see what I put together. Surely I have something that will work.