Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fruitcake

Blog Entries
    Mom made hers with peach nectar. No booze. We'd wrap them in aluminum foil and let them sit awhile. Then about January, any uneaten ones went into the refrigerator. Pull them out around Easter and they tasted like candy...oh what a treat!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Boiled fruit cake is my favourite.

Blog Entries
    About 30 years ago I gave a fruitcake to a friend who hates it (as a prank). She thought she would get me back by giving to me the following but I was ready for her with another fruitcake. Those two fruitccakes have been going back and forth for about 30 years now. It's become a tradition lol

Blog Entries
    I love fruitcake. Not the cheap ones from the store, but a good one. A friend of my DH used to bring us one from a bakery in North Carolina I think. Haven't had it in years, since we lost contact with him. I will have to try one of the ones on here.

Blog Entries
    My grandmother made one that starts with a yellow egg cake, that was crumbled then fruit was added, and the whole thing had brandy poured over it, and allowed to 'age'. Sadly, that is all I remember of the recipe.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I've tried several, but I always return to Collin Street Bakery - it's my favorite and I order one every year. My husband supposedly doesn't like fruitcake but last year he ate half of mine. Should be getting mine in the mail soon.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

I ditto Collin Street Bakery. Have bought them for 25 years.

I have a very easy recipe my mother passed down. No alchohol, no baking. Keeps well in the frig, but I have not tried freezing it.

NO BAKE FRUIT CAKE
    1 box vanilla wafers, crushed fine
    1-10 oz. bag marshmallows
    4 cups chopped pecans or other nuts
    2 cups raisins
    1 cup chopped dates
    2 cups currents
    2 cans condensed milk

In a large pan or bowl, mix fruit with wafers. Add milk, nuts and marshmallows.
    Mix thoroughly and pack into bread pans and refrigerate.
    Makes 2-3 pans, depending on size of pan.
    OPTIONAL
    Use 5 cups of any combination dried fruit. I like dried pineapple, cherries, raisins, dates and cranberries
    in it.

Blog Entries
    If you have access to Costco, I find theirs to be really good.

My mother made big batches of both light and dark fruitcake and we all helped shell nuts,cut up the candied fruit and we sure helped eat as much of it as we could get our hands on. She made them several months ahead and wrapped them in flour-sack towels and soaked them in wine. Every so often, she would go and sprinkle more wine on the loaves. Mmmmmm!
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

We love fruitcake at our house. I make one with pecans, candied cherries and pineapple. Now, some years I just make fruitcake cookies with the same ingredients. Both keep very well. Sometimes I use some brandy in them.

We love fruitcake, too! Used Mrs. Harvey's recipe for years thinking it was just my grandmother's. It's the best ever. Now that I am on GF diet, can only eat the home made kinds, but never liked the bought type anyway.

Jacie, I would also like to have your recipe. Please post it for us when you have time.
    Thanks

I would love another recipe, I have 3 small loaves soaking right now. 2 with alcohol and 1 with apple juice. I make mine with all kinds of dried fruit, no candied stuff.

My mother use to make fruit cake when I was a child. I didn't like it back then but I do now. Unfortunately I am the only one in my household who would eat it so I don't every buy or make it. My husband says he likes the cake part not the fruit. I like it all!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Harry & David's fruitcake is really good. Their "fruitcake confection" is even better.

Blog Entries
    Jacie I would also like the recipe

Jacie, Would appreciate the recipe. Thanks in advance.
    Anne

Try Eilenberger's Bakery in Palestine, TX https://www.eilenbergerbakery.com/ They've been business since 1898 and if you don't like it, they offer a replacement or a "courteous refund." I think it is much better than Collin St. Bakery.
    Please meet my avatar quilting buddy, Myrtle McQuilter

My family loves Claxton Fruitcake.....it is mostly fruit and lots of nuts and the cake is blonde. https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/pag...ton_Fruit_Cake

I usually make 2 cakes which weigh about 7 #s each. They cost around $60-$70 to make. My husband eats one over the Christmas Season and through Jan. I freeze the other one and he eats it throughout the year! They are a lot of work and take a whole day to put together, prepare the pans which have to be lined with parchment paper, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Several days before I cut up all the cherries and pineapple and nuts that go into them. DH truly enjoys them and doesn't like to share them with anyone!! You would think he would be big as a house but he isn't. He does bicycle spin, cardio chisel and yoga. I am a couch potato and I believe that is beginning to affect my health and i need to start some kind of exercise program but have absolutely no motivation to do so...

I love fruitcake too and would love to have the recipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacie View Post
    I have made the white fruit cake recipe found every year the day after Thanksgiving in The Tampa Tribune. It is called Mrs. Harvey's fruit cake. I have all the ingred, purchased, and will make it this week. It does not have any booze in it, however, stays wonderfully fresh long long time(if it lasts that long , mine usually has to be rationed out sparingly in order to have any at Christmas.) Will post the recipe later if any one is interested...........
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Add my recommendation for Collin Street bakery in Corsicana, TX
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

my grandmother used to make her own fruitcake and pour 'dandelion wine' that she made, over it, wrap in foil and store in the cold back basement. Kids weren't usually allowed to have any because of the wine but somehow I got some and I lover fruit cake! With lots of fruit, dates, nuts and cherries. Mother used to make one using a spice cake mix and bake in an angel food cake pan. It weighed a ton till she was done adding everything. I'm the only one in the family that likes fruit cake so I don't make it because I would eat it all!!

I just bought one on Sat. at a bakery near Oakland, Md made by the Mennonites. I almost despaired of finding a fruit cake nearby that I like. Also the bakery in Flintstone, Md. by Mennonites is also very good, but to far for me to just drive over there and get one.
    ABCDEFG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast