The full story

Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 AM

I am finally home, got here at 4:00PM yesterday, just in time to take my little one to baseball practice, have dinner, do a little grocery shopping and collapse. The word tired doesn't even mean anything to me right now.

I am sorry I could not answer yesterday to all the nice comments and congratulations about my new job. Thanks to all. I could not stop to tell you that this does not mean that I will leave my in-laws for good. On the other hand, it means that I am moving in with them for 3 months.

I live with my family in Plattsburgh, NY and they live in the Bronx. Since we are both unemployed I applied for jobs in the city, where I knew I would find one. Also, I applied for school for my sons and my oldest one got into a great one for free.

I went to interview on Thursday, interviewed with 5 people, but I had the job from the start. I never felt more comfortable in an interview in my whole life. I walked out of there employed. One of them, my direct supervisor, told me that I will work completely independently, and that he will give me time to go back to school and he will pay for it, as long as I end up getting my license to be the laboratory director. I am thrilled with this. Also, he offered me, since my family is away, and they don't see patients on Monday, that I can take Mondays off and leave early on Friday to spend 2 full days at home on weekends and it will not count against my vacation. Thrilling too. Also, he teaches a course in microsurgery and he will teach me the course so that in the future I can teach it with him. Even more thrilling. He has students (surgeons) from allover the world to come take this course. He wants me to be his assistant to slowly take over and free his time to follow other things he wants to do in the lab. Is going to be intense for a while, but I am looking forward to it.

As for my MIL: I will be living with them until school is over, my family can move, and I can save enough to rent an apartment. Is going to be 3 hard months, but since I will leave in the morning for work, a few nights a week go to school and hopefully other nights teach at the quilt shop, I will not see much of them and they will not see much of them. A friend gave me a sewing cabinet to bring with me so I can sew until my routine gets organized. All I need is a bed that doesn't kill my back and a corner for my machine.

I had a hard conversation with her before I left and she said she will try to be in peace. Will see about that. I have never wished for the hot summer months to be here, but right now it doesn't seem soon enough.

I start work in about 2 weeks but I have to go back there once before that to get all my paperwork straight. It should be an interesting time. Maybe I will start a book about it.

Again, thanks to all of you. Is great to be able to come here and get it all out.

Maria
Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 AM

Suc a GREAT story.... Really HAPPY for you.. and it looks like things have REALLY turned around for you.. imagine taking over the class... lots of work ahead of you but it will be so worth it in the END!

CONGRATULATIONS
Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 AM

Maria, it's awesome news about the job! Sounds WONDERFUL!

The staying with the inlaws for 3 months? Heh! Not so much! I've done that, and even tho I loved my MIL and worshipped the ground she walked on, two women in the same house that are both used to being "the woman of the house" doesn't usually work well. I wish you all of the best in that department, and hope the "time eaters" work well for you!!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 AM

So very glad you got the job!! It sounds like you have a great future there. I'm also sorry that you have to live with your in-laws for 3 months, but as you said, you'll be gone most the day and hopefully she'll leave you alone. Best of luck!!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 AM

It's great you've found a job. I hope you can find a place to live quickly, too. Out here in the midwest, we hear horror stories about rent prices in NYC. I hope they are not true.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 AM

The horror stories are true, in Manhatthan. You can get a studio apartment for $3000 and a decent 3 or 4 bedroom for about $10K a month. In The Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens is more reasonable, about $1500 for a 3 bedroom.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

:shock: $1500 I guess that isn't as bad as I thought, a number of years ago I heard $1000 and about had an attack LOL

I am happy to hear that you have a job, a plan, and a way to keep busy and away from MIL until you have a home of your own. It is awesome that your new employer is making sure you get time with your family each week. It sounds like you have not only found a job, but a wonderful career!!! :D:D:D
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by amma
:shock: $1500 I guess that isn't as bad as I thought, a number of years ago I heard $1000 and about had an attack LOL

I am happy to hear that you have a job, a plan, and a way to keep busy and away from MIL until you have a home of your own. It is awesome that your new employer is making sure you get time with your family each week. It sounds like you have not only found a job, but a wonderful career!!! :D:D:D
I guess is up to me now. I can make it as involved as I want it to be, and I hate to have nothing to do, so I see myself getting very involved.

I guess the rent sounds high depending on where you are. I now pay $1075 for a two bedroom, 1.5 bathroom, basement with family room, laundry/storage room, and two parking spots. Paying $1500 is going to hurt.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Google Goddess

great story!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

Just keep the Exlax handy for dear sweet MIL!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33073.gif