Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fuschia plant?

Fuschia plant?

Had two hanging for hummingbirds this summer...they have left for winter.....fuschia are leggy but still sending out buds.....will they bloom, grow if I bring them into house for winter or should I just kiss them goodbye...and buy new next year?

Some annuals will come back in the spring if you keep them in a freeze free environment during the winter months. I have geraniums that are 5 yrs. old now. I just set the pots in the garage at the threat of the 1st frost & then prune them up & put them out in the Spring. They get better each year. I think it is hard to get enough light inside to keep them blooming nicely during the shorter days of Winter.

The nursery lady told me to cut fuschias back in Dec. I am in CA so temp isn't an issue. I would bring them in to a freeze free area if I were you. Fuschias are soooo beautiful!

Do you still water them or just let them be? Light? I have two hanging now that I could save. I usually buy new each year.

You would need to water them occasionally, but not as much as you would in the summer outdoors. Good luck!

Thanks! :-)

This is an article on wintering the plant. Wish I could grow them here, but it is too hot. Still in the 80's this week.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orna...inter-care.htm

My grandmother used to take hers out of the pot, wrap the root ball with burlap, and hang it upside down in the root cellar. She cut back the stems to about 4 inches. Then she just kept the burlap slightly damp. Yngldy's article looks easier.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I have put mine under the porch and have had new growth appear in the spring and plants have bloomed. We do have freezing but I've been surprised they always put out green shoots. Since we now have an enclosed garage I may winter there but will have to remember to water.

Thanks for tips...I will try this...have an attached garage so that will be their hiding place til spring.....and I will remember to occasionally give them a drink........I agree the flower on this plant is so exotic looking and the visiting hummingbirds just love them........

Blog Entries
    Good luck and thanks for feeding the hummers the 'natural' way. Your hummers will come back next year as they have routes they follow. We have to use plants other than fuschias to draw hummers...it's too hot here. Enjoy the process of wintering over.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

For 7 years I have given plants a haircut ( cut every branch back to 1-2 inches) and placed them in garage where they do not freeze. The garage is not heated, but shares an inside house wall. Plants are placed in a west window in a plastic shoe tray that holds water. Once a month they are watered lightly, just enough to keep roots from completely drying out. In this way I have saved a Bridalveil and Oxalis, plus a few others that I consider "tender". I don't do anything to them until weather starts looking like Spring. I then water, fertilize, and move out into sunshine when appropriate. They take a few weeks to get into full blossoming, but have looked great, worth keeping! Good luck. Judi