Gardeners and quilters??

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 AM

How do you find the time to do both?? I love both and I know once it is time to get out I won't do as much sewing...How do you balance more then one hobby!!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 AM

I make the time, I have varied hobbies, from Auto mechanics to gardening and sewing. I also love PC video games. I love to cook, read and take the pups out for walks with my husband.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Oh, my! I'm like always doing something! Yesterday we planted some 'cold weather' seeds. This weekend I'm visiting a friend in the Great White North...after that, making soap....after that...some quilting....

I think I need an extra *me* with all the stuff I wanna do.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM

I have so many interests. Perhaps that is one reason it takes me 3 months to finish a quilt! Now that it is motorhome season again there will be less quilting and more on-the-go!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Oh, I would have to say that Gardening is a bigger hobby than my quilting. I have been a gardener since I was a child. I also was a University of NE Extension Aide in Horticulture for eight years. Had so much fun with the
4-Hers and leading the Master Gardeners. Recently I have been taking things to Farmers Market, and exhibiting at the local fair... now that I dont have to run those areas. It is just so fun. I usually sit with the quilting judge, while the vegetable judge is doing his thing. I learn alot from the quilting judge.
Balancing for me is just a matter of choice. I ususally do alot of cutting in the summer if I can. That way I am geared up to sew during the winter months!
Maybe some day I will exhibit a quilt!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Unfortunately, I have never found much time to quilt when warm weather comes and I can get into the flowers. When not gardening, I like to sit outside and read with the birds singing in the background and a breeze brushing my face.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM

DH does the gardening. When it comes in the house I take it from there. I don't do anything out side except walk the dogs and run.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM

For me, mornings are for gardening, afternoons for quilting and evenings for sitting on the porch swing reading. I squeeze the unimportant things (housework, cooking, laundry) inbetween!! Spring, summer and fall are to short around here to waste a minute.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
For me, mornings are for gardening, afternoons for quilting and evenings for sitting on the porch swing reading. I squeeze the unimportant things (housework, cooking, laundry) inbetween!! Spring, summer and fall are to short around here to waste a minute.
I think I'm going to have to adopt your 'hobby routine'. That sounds like it just might work for me: outside work in the morning, quilting in the afternoon and playing with the kiddo whenever he needs my attention!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM

I don't do a lot of gardening in the winter, up here in Michigan. Lots of time to sew, then.