Gardening

Old 08-01-2013, 05:16 AM

Default Gardening

I was wondering if any gardners in Indiana also pant a fall garden. I have for lots of years. Some more succesful than others.I pant peas, cauliflower,some broccli from seeds and they will usualy produce before the hard freeze.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Have you tried turnips? Some farmers around here sow them between rows of corn. Best ones I ever had were from a neighbor's field. I don't garden too much now, but we once had an acre or more every year. Of course, I am Not in Indiana! It has been so hot and dry here in the summer and fall that growing anything was difficult. I wish I was closer so I could help you harvest! I do love my veggies. Good luck and good weather for your garden!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 AM

I wanted to grow veggies in our golf course facing back yard so removed some portions of the lawn to make room for the veggie garden, mean neighbor took photos of it and complained to the HOA. HOA asked us to re sod the lawn or apply for ACC approval. We thought growing a garden is our right and so applied to the ACC. Guess what ! They also denied. Now we have pulled out all the okras that we planted in the ground and replanted them all into planters.
Texas is against GoGreen? We have deviated too much from nature !
Old 08-03-2013, 06:42 AM

From what I hear I definitely want to avoid living anywhere there's a home owners association to deal with. A friend's daughter had to employ a specific landscaper and only plant certain things in her yard?!? Worse than living on base where we got written up because our hibiscus was taller than the edge of the roof.
Good luck with your garden. Too hot and dry (even with humidity) here.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM

A lot of HOA's are turning into gestapos.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Fortunately, we have a civic association not a HOA where I live. They don't get very involved. I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, hot peppers, and basil. I bought a Roma tomato plant this year, but so far it is not doing very well. I've only had a few tomatoes off of it, but they tasted good. The cherry tomatoes and 'regular' (I think I bought Early Girl this year) are doing fine.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM

I have planted 3 different cherry tomatoes, A Tommytoe which is yielding very small acrid tomatoes, A sweet million that has lots of tiny grape tomatoes, and one volunteer from a friends garden that has nice bite sized cherry tomatoes that are very sweet. Had to container garden to keep the deer out
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
From what I hear I definitely want to avoid living anywhere there's a home owners association to deal with. A friend's daughter had to employ a specific landscaper and only plant certain things in her yard?!? Worse than living on base where we got written up because our hibiscus was taller than the edge of the roof.
Good luck with your garden. Too hot and dry (even with humidity) here.
meeeeee too, I'll stay where I'm at I hear you can't even hang wash out and anything you want to do you have to go through the hoa my friend bought a home community type all homes look the same and she not a real happy camper they are pretty homes tho