Genealogy program for Mac

Old 09-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Default Genealogy program for Mac

For years I have used my Family Treemaker program on my PC and am thinking of switching to a Mac. I need to buy a new computer and program anyway, so wondered if anyone who actually uses a Mac has a favourite program? Thanks for your input.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM

At the moment my PC isn’t feeling well so I use my iPad. I used FamilyTreeMaker for years and loved it. But I also subscribe to Ancestery and have done do for a very long time - and thank heavens I have it or I would have lost close to 40 years of work! I’m not sure what happened to FTM but maybe they now have a program for the MAC - sure would be nice az I’m thinking of getting an Apple laptop. Try googling “genealogy programs for MAC” and see what comes up. Luckily I can use Ancestry on my iPad and iPhone but I’d really like a good genealogy program - one that I can GEDCOM from Ancestry to and not loose anything. I hope you keep this request open as I’m very interested in what others say.

Thanks,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-06-2021, 02:22 AM

I use Legacy on my PC. I downloaded a free version and it works just peachy. I would imagine they have a mac version available as well. I believe you can import all of your GEDCOM data into their software.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:08 PM

I just checked to see what there is for my iPad (hopefully for free). RootsWeb came up for iOS and Android. For Thimblebug000 I would check where you purchase apps for the Mac and see if it will work for you. I think I will download the RootsWeb app and give it a try.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 PM

Nuts!!! I goofed - the program is called RootsMagic

Sandy
Old 09-06-2021, 08:05 PM

Thanks for your comments everybody. I will wait until I hopefully get mine and then I hope I can find someone who has actually had experience with a Mac.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use Legacy on my PC. I downloaded a free version and it works just peachy. I would imagine they have a mac version available as well. I believe you can import all of your GEDCOM data into their software.
I have Roots Magic loaded on my PC but have found it complicated and not very intuitive. I don't use it. I seem to rely on Ancestry instead. Will look into Legacy. Glad to have that recommendation!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Genealogy for MAC

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
For years I have used my Family Treemaker program on my PC and am thinking of switching to a Mac. I need to buy a new computer and program anyway, so wondered if anyone who actually uses a Mac has a favorite program? Thanks for your input.
I have used Ancestral Quest for a number of years. It is easy, intuitive and very good. I just checked and the program is available in a MAC version. You can do a GEDCOM of your program in Family Tree Maker and download it into Ancestral Quest. I strongly recommend this program; check it out online. And it, too, has a free program for you to try out.