Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy

Genealogy

Anybody here addicted to genealogy. I started researching family about two years ago and have met some of the nicest relatives. I discovered both sides of my family go back to the 1600's in the USA. Also a lot of history have been learned.

I have some cousins that do genealogy I have tried but just do not seem to have the time to devote to it. But I will admit it is very interesting to learn about the family. Good luck on your quests.
    Age is mind over matter.......if you don't mind ........it doesn't matter! 😂
    Nancy

I have done some research but it is hard to find the time.We go back to the 1600's too, and then to England. My husband is first generation his two older brothers one born Sweden one born Ireland his parents from Poland and Ukraine

Yep, I've been doing it for yrs.....my daughter is hooked, too........she's the one using my fabric "stash". : ) I've met lots of great people online......some become friends for life. : ) I'm addicted to research as I am to quilting....

A long lost cousin, I think she would be a 3rd or 4th cousin located me online via another first cousin. She has all of my mothers genalogy to 1601. Its fascinating. Both sides are Welsh. I also stumbled across an old cemetery in Somkey Mountains National Park (Cades Cove) where some of my ancestors circa early 1800's are buried.
    She keep in touch with me often if she hears anything from other family.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have been on the search for years. Genealogy is fascinating to me.
    Unfortunately, I cannot find much info about my ancestors.
    I do know that they came from England but the name was so common in many areas of England.
    Has anyone done the DNA project that helps find distant relatives? At the moment, I am not sure what it's called but I have been thinking about doing the test. Has anyone done it and what are your opinions?
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

My brother did the research for our family. He traced us back to John Howard and Elizabeth Tilly of the Mayflower. Since that couple had 11 children, and they all had about 10, I think that a quarter of all the US can say this same thing. LOL

On my father's side, I am first generation American as he came from Scotland.
    Jean in MI

Our oldest Daughter got into genealogy and found a relative of my came from Luxombourg. Another founded a town in Illinois. She found a cousin in Canada that sent her pictures of my Great Grandparents. I also found out my oldest Brother, younger than I, had died and buried in a Nat'l Cemetery in N.C. She also found out what my parents died of and where. Not all families are close.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes! My husband and I have spent lots of time on it. When our kids get homework about family trees they can fill in a lot of detail!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

My husband has done a lot, following from info his dad had. His people came over from England on the ship "Mary & John" in early 1600s. We have friends who are big on the DNA search, in part because one of them was adopted. They really like it, but it's kind of expensive for me. I used to work for the company that makes Genealogybank, so I can use that. They have a lot of old newspapers from all over the country.

Most library has a library edition of Ancestry.com for free. If you haven't already, check with your local library.

I did a lot of genealogy a few years ago -- my dad's family traces to Gov. William Bradford (2nd governor of the plymouth colony) and Alice Carpenter Southworth. DH has a book that traces his family in Germany back to the 1500's. The book is in German. I got so depressed translating and putting the information in the computer -- there would be 10-12 children, most died young and there was a designation of "Death by Plague". It was horrible. DH said to skip the dead ones, but I felt we should remember them too..
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    yep , me too. I had family on the Mayflower and waiting on the shore. I've been here a llllooooonnnnggg time. hehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I did a lot of genealogy a few years ago -- my dad's family traces to Gov. William Bradford (2nd governor of the plymouth colony) and Alice Carpenter Southworth. DH has a book that traces his family in Germany back to the 1500's. The book is in German. I got so depressed translating and putting the information in the computer -- there would be 10-12 children, most died young and there was a designation of "Death by Plague". It was horrible. DH said to skip the dead ones, but I felt we should remember them too..
    I have been working on my family for years. I did get my mother family back to 1443. She came to America when she was 4 years old, so it has been fun as most of the records were in Germany.
    On all the rest of my family, I am back to the early 1500 with the exception of my mother in law. Her name was Phillips and I think everyone had the same name and it's so hard to prove that it's her family.
    It's so much easier today with all the computer records, but it's also much easier to get on the wrong line real fast.

I did a lot but just a warning if you are using you computer PLEASE HAVE A BACK UP My computer crashed and it took so long for someone to get my genealogy back up I lost interest.

Oh yes! I went gun-ho on my husband genealogy. But gave it up to do quilting. This takes up 99% of my time. I love both! My husband family is from Irwin PA Buzzard's, Posharts,Bassards, etc. etc. so many different names. Lost interest as none of his immediate family is interested in it. My family is from Mexico and I can't get too much info.

Researching

Quote Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
    Anybody here addicted to genealogy. I started researching family about two years ago and have met some of the nicest relatives. I discovered both sides of my family go back to the 1600's in the USA. Also a lot of history have been learned.
    I have been researching my families for 30 plus years. My maiden name family goes back to the 1500's to Cuckfield England. They arrived in the US in 1640. My husband's line goes back to 1200's in Aberdeen Scotland. In 2000 we went to Scotland and found the "Castle". I was expecting at the best a Manse, but to our surprise the first building we saw and were admiring was the stables. The Castle was further down the road and came complete with Turrets. It is currently under restoration under the Scottish Trust and is owned by a surgeon from Aberdeen. We were told that it was a 20 to 30 year restoration. At the time we saw it the family was living in the servants quarters. It had taken them over a year to just stop the leaks in the main part of the house.

The hardest time I have had in finding records has been in Mississippi. I have sent many requests for birth or death certificates and have yet to get one from Mississippi. I am not talking about deaths prior to the 1900's I mean the 1930's and '40's. Genealogy becomes addicting as quilting...and I do both.

I love it!! As my father was the youngest of 12 (8 lived) and he lost his father when he was 6, I didn't know too much about family. I did the ancestry dot com and have not only done my family as far as I could go but did the ex and the children's spouses and if they had any ex's, did them too. Someone asked why I did "everyone" because I had such a hard time finding mine. Besides, the grandchildren might want to know in the future. Most are not interested now, but neither was I until I was almost 60!! Most of my first cousins have passed, Mom and Dad have passed, my only sibling has passed, so I need to grab all the info I can find and dot com is a convenient place to park it until someone else wants to know. LOL have 1,352 ancesters counting all the ex's and their families. That's my Dad sitting on the ground!! That's my grandma, Miss Annie, in the back row, the shortest with the dark hair
    Name:  Henry, Bessie, Miss Annie, William Woolsey, Shelton, Mabel, Dorothy,Preston and Billy Clary.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  521.1 KB
    Last edited by AZ Jane; 05-18-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have been contacted by family from Ireland and France and England. Many years ago when my grandmother was still alive I went with her to stay at her brother's farm to help him with a few things after his wife died. She had a heart attack after being attacked by a mother sow. She ha fallen into the hog pen. Anyway they still had an uncle who was French. We visited him (this was in southern Indiana south of Connersville) and he spoke French and English. Imagine my surprise when I also heard my grandmother converse with him in French. Then there are some relatives I reallllly don't want them to know where I live.

I am originally from Europe and relatives on both sides of my mother and father's side did the research already. History goes back to before 1500. What I also think is interesting is names going back that far. One of the names I gave my DD can be followed all the way to that time frame. My oldest son is interested and he and DH are getting into it but they are only interested in DH's side. I have gathered a lot of info for them but am not that interested in it since it is not my family's side. Also many of my children are adoptive so my focus is more on the ethnic back ground and general history of people groups and countries. I know this is not always that way because all my sister's children came home by adoption and her kids are totally into it.
    Anna Quilts

A friend of mine was adopted and recently received the names of her birth parents. She was able to research her biological and adoptive ancestry. It turned out that the adoptive and biological sides are related back in the 1600's.

I have been active in genealogy since the 80's. Since we retired, I have introduced this wonderful activity to my husband. He only knew his grandparents' names and that was all. He has never been in close vicinity to any relatives. He has since met a first cousin in West Texas and in contact with other cousins. He feels the root connection and is tracing his family. With just a little information he has gone back to his 3rd great grandfather and has learned about his ancestors. Working puzzles is an enjoyable pastime for him so genealogy has fueled his interest in putting his family puzzle together. It is addictive.

I have traced my paternal grandparents etc. back to my 5th great grandparents. I even found a picture of my gggrandmother when I checked Find a Grave website.

We have a Genealogy Center in our city with very a knowledgeable staff when we hit a brick wall. The center (as well as our local library) has a library subscription to ancestry.com for our use.

Good luck with your projects.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Howards

[QUOTE=jeank;6068655]My brother did the research for our family. He traced us back to John Howard and Elizabeth Tilly of the Mayflower.

Any relation to Mathew Arundell Howard? Both of my parents decend from him. From 2 different children.
    My Niemeyers in Ohio are my brick wall.
    Last edited by linhawk; 05-18-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: addition

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    My brother did the research for our family. He traced us back to John Howard and Elizabeth Tilly of the Mayflower. Since that couple had 11 children, and they all had about 10, I think that a quarter of all the US can say this same thing. LOL

On my father's side, I am first generation American as he came from Scotland.
    My father was born in Scotland too, and my daughter has traced our family on that side to the 1700's. My mother's family came from England, Irish and Scotland and I am 3rd generation on her side. My daughter has done some incredible research and she now has a huge family tree on Ancestry.

I am so hooked on ancestry. Have my grandfather back to the year 932. The reason I can go back so far in his family. His 13th GGF was King Robert the Bruce. Mean little ***** he was. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast