Geneology

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM

So glad to find someone else who quilts and is interested in genealogy. I am addicted to both. I retired two years ago and have done a lot of searching of family roots. Have traced Dad's paternal family back to the Revolutionary war. We have a Genealody Society Center in our town and the librarian and volunteers have been so helpful. I will certainly keep your post if I get stuck! Thanks for making yourself available.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cosy View Post

If your lines run into the Bristish Isles and generally Western Europe, you will probably run into royalty, mostly because it was in general the upper classes that survived the plagues and wars, and there is a LOT of inbreeding. Luckily, the royal lines are well documented.
I find that very interesting.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:42 PM

My mom and DH's cousin have done most of what I have.
But it is very interesting..
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM

YES, I need some help but I'm not having any luck..... We know very little (basically nothing) about my mom's family. Her dad's father was a Native American named Osceola Creighton Reid. Not even sure that the first and middle names are spelled correctly but we think so. Mom was born in 1928 so OCR was probably born in the 1870's or 80's or thereabout. He was living in the Northern Georgia area when my granddad and mom were born but we don't know where he was born or any other details. I'm sorry that I'm giving you so little info, but it's what there is. SIGH.... Thanks for any help that anybody can give me! Please PM me with it since I forget to check back on the threads.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

If you have a Latter Day Saints Church in your area, you could call them and ask if they have a research center there. If they do, you can go there and search for free. They have a center here in the Charleston, SC area. You don't have to belong the church to use the research center. I am not a member and everyone is very nice and helpful. I been going for about the last 1 1/2 years searching for my family line. It's amazing what I have found and all I had was my grandmother's name. Didn't have a birthday, place, or date of death or place. I was like she never existed but now I have found her!!! Good luck searching...

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle View Post
I'm trying to find my roots but since I have very little to go by I'm finding it hard to find anything without going to those sites you have to pay for. Maybe we need a genealogy board, too? I have no idea how to get any information about my grandfather (born in the 1880's) or my grandmother. All I have is their names and the day they each died. I'd love to have some help!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Write down when he was born, where he was born, when and where he was married. If he died, when and where. Start with the newest information and work back from there. Look in census records, marriage records, etc. Census records show family members of the household, ages, where parents were born. PM me and maybe we can figure out where you can start to look.
Originally Posted by IdahoSandy View Post
I know very little about my dads family, my dads name was Robert Edward Gladwell.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM

pm me and maybe we can figure out where you can start to look.
Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle View Post
I'm trying to find my roots but since I have very little to go by I'm finding it hard to find anything without going to those sites you have to pay for. Maybe we need a genealogy board, too? I have no idea how to get any information about my grandfather (born in the 1880's) or my grandmother. All I have is their names and the day they each died. I'd love to have some help!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I do it off and on again but get really involved when I do. I would really like to take a live class. Our local college has one online but I already knew all they taught.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Almost 90% of my genealogy research was done in the San Diego Morman library (not on the internet). I have tracked my mom's folks back to 1820 in South Carolina. Morman folks microfilmed county records in all the states. Now, I live in a much smaller town and the Morman library does not have all the microfilm here, but will order it from Salt Lake for me for a small fee. No, I am not a Morman, just an avid genealogy researcher.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 PM

I am so glad to see other people interested in genealogy finally coming out of the woodwork! It is one of my other all consuming passions besides quilting, cross stitch, reading, etc. Well, you get the picture - I need days to last twice as long as they do in order to get things accomplished. I have always loved history and was bitten by the genealogy bug back in the 6th or 7th grade when we had to do a family tree for a class assignment. 50+ years of accumulating stuff and I have only begun to scratch the surface. Basically, my people are the British Isles with the few exceptions that ended up in Holland to avoid the religious mess Henry VIII created. Have found fasinating stories that makes me appreciate the strength of character my forebearers had.

For those of you who are just getting started, I noticed that “ssnare” has offered to help anyone looking for help and I would like to offer my services also. I am not a great genealogist but can get you started right or at least in the right direction. There are numerous websites that offer all resources necessary for getting started for free.

http://familysearch.org has great information and in their products section (see bottom of the page - you can download Paf 5.2 for free. This will enable you to get started immediately and if you wish to move on to one of the other family tree programs you can transfer what you have entered in Paf with no problems.
http://genealogy.about.com/ , http://rootsweb.com, and many others are free and available to use - If you do not choose to use Paf and want to do things by hand then I recommend you use the pedegree chart available on about.com - it is interactive, allowing you to enter info (sorry, you can’t save it but it does allow you to type and print forms, which is always a plus. As for other forms necessary I recommend that you enter “Free genealogy forms” into http://dogpile.com (My favorite search engine) and there will be page after page of different sites offering forms - just be sure to look for the interactive ones - they help keep things looking good once you get started.

REMEMBER: No tree is considered valid without documentation! So get forms, fill them out, (Pedegree charts, family group sheets, etc) as best you can, but then start accumulating the documentation to go with the facts - if your Nana tells you something, note that the info came from Nana, No matter how small, all notes of this sort are important. Good Luck!