Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: General laundry pre-treaters

Blog Entries
    I use Simple Green on most everything cleaning-stain wise. Then I use a pre-wash with a little liquid laundry detergent, and this works really well. My DH does a lot of yard work and gets lots of grass, dirt, grease; you name it. The pre-wash I am sold on; it loosens the stains and makes the clothes come out so much cleaner. It is a separate cycle on my machine; a Crosley; love it!! Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

You can find the powder form at Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. and any paint store. There is also a liquid form too. Usually sold with the name of TSP on the box. It is used by the barrels full commercially. Did you know Trisodium phosphate is commonly used as a food additive? It's the same stuff they took out of the detergent. LOL This is straight from Snopes: Trisodium phosphate, a food additive common in cereals like Lucky Charms and Cheerios
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredien...GQXbr601TMZ.99
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I put a little bit of Dawn dish soap on my DH's shirts (rub it in a little) & cleans up his collars great !! Don't have a problem with his sleeves but I think it would work there too.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have used Awesome and it works great. I, also, use Greased Lightening to spot treat and to clean my stove. As the name says, it's great on grease.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

I found Lestoil to be wonderful..even gets old stains out. If it doesn't work on the first laundry continue for another few times...works wonders !! I just put it on the stain and let it sit a few minutes before putting in the wash.

I rub in a small bit of Palmolive dish soap and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I add the phosphate back to the detergent. I add a teaspoon of Trisodium phosphate to my laundry that needs the extra cleaning power. I add a 1/4 teaspoon to the dishwasher detergent. It's sold in 1lb boxes about $9. I'm on the second year use of one box.
    I thought this was a great idea and wanted to try it out adding it to the laundry. Buying TSP brought back the memory of the '70's when they removed phosphates from laundry detergent - it was a big deal back then. I remember our clothes not coming out as clean with the "new, improved" detergents - without phosphates!

I just went to the hardware store to get some TSP, and on the box it says it is NOT recommended for using with glass. I wondered why, so I googled it. Evidently, TSP leaves a film on glass.

Have you experienced the film on glasses while using it with your dishwasher??
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I use Resolve Stain Stick. You can pretreat up to 7 days before washing. DH used to have to wear white uniform shirts (was an EMT so he got lots of guck on them) and the Stain Stick was phenomenal in getting out all sorts of stains. Took care of ring around the collar, blood stains, ink and tea stains. I get it at Walmart, but should be available at most grocery stores. Costs around $2.50 and lasts quite a while.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Ok. I am now armed with both Awesome and TSP! I pulled two light colored shirts out of his closet that are still pretty grungy (was planning on tossing them and probably still will). Have decided to do an experiment with both products to see if there is any improvement. I usually have 2 loads of light colored wash so should be a good comparison. will keep everyone posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2