Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please >

Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
How close do you live to her mom's house that she's cleaning out? I know what I value--and that is help. Help that is helpful, organized, willing to sweat, willing to listen to me reminisce but not get totally sidetracked, someone who can help get me over the hurdle of indecision when those hurdles arise. If you qualify as such a person, your service would be most appreciated and long remembered. If I were giving the gift, I would offer, say, 12 hours of my time plus lunch on you , to such and such a place.

Alternatively, if you are not physically, emotionally, or logistically able, then a gift of a cleaning service when all the stuff is cleared out and the repairs made would be a huge relief. You want to help un-burden her, and I can sense that in your post. It's overwhelming in every way to go through a parent's possessions when they've passed. I'm fortunate that I have 3 sisters who have helped clear out much of my mom's stuff, but when the time comes to clear out my dad's to put his house on the market, I know for sure I will want all kinds of support.

A gift card for a 90 minute massage is something I would want. If she welcomes the touchy-feely, then by all means, give her that to look forward to.

You've known your friend for 30 years and I'm sure know what makes her feel cared for. Give her that.
I agree with everything Zozee has said. Having gone through this exercise not long ago with Dad's house, any help would have been gratefully accepted and appreciated. Like Zozee, I had siblings to help out with much but it was still a great deal of work for all of us.

A massage and lunch - girls kind of day - would also be an awesome thank you.

BTW- the chair is fabulous! Enjoy.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:07 PM

Beautiful chair! Everyone has to eat---how about a gift certificate to a fabulous restaurant?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 PM

I think both Rhonda K and Zozee are right on target. I'd go with something that was more a shared experience (maybe to a local museum with a quilt display; helping her with clearing out her Mom's house in some way; love the massage idea; just being that good friend that comes over with some baked goods and coffee when she's "hit the wall" on the whole clearing out the house/grief process.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:10 AM

If she gardens, a gift certificate to local nursery or favorite seed catalog ( we actually received two seed catalogs for spring in the mail yesterday!)
Old 11-26-2019, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
How about including a photo of the chair in your home with the thank you card? I agree that it's hard to accept such a gift, but your friend knows you'll be a good "keeper of the chair," so just enjoy it. :-)
Sometimes the giver gets pleasure knowing that a gift is being used/treasured.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:01 AM

I know this may not be what you have in mind but having just lost my BFF from girlhood I only wish I had this myself. Take your friend with you to have a photo done of the two of you together. Ideally it would be in the chair but since that may not be possible, have someone come and take the photo at your home. This way you both have the picture and that will last forever. What I would do to have a picture of my longtime friend with me. Frame the picture and gift it to her. Again just a thought.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 AM

look at bus tours...take her 'away from it all' And nothing to store but memories when you come home.
there are a lot of one day ones around here. Do something you've never done before.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Beautiful chair and what a treasure to receive. I agree with giving her a gift certificate but don't know where to suggest. I agree that it is hard to receive such a gift and not return the favor of some kind.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Hello ladies. I have a bit of a quandary and I’m looking for suggestions!

I have a very good friend I’ve known for 30+ years (we met through our Smocking Guild). She recently lost her mom and has been clearing out her mom’s house getting it ready to sell. She comes from a long line of needle artists; her mom was actually the founder of the rug hooking guild here in R.I. and was also a seamstress, a quilter, you name it, they’ve done it.

In the process of cleaning out her mom’s house, she gave me a beautiful antique rocking chair. The seat and back are done in petit-point but my friend is not sure who actually did it (could have been her mom, her great-aunt, who knows because all of her family were wonderful needle workers). She was going to try to sell it but ended up giving it to me and wouldn’t take any money for it.

So my dilemma is this – I really want to give her something to say thanks for this beautiful chair. (I put a photo below so you can see how gorgeous it is.) – she has all of her own stash, plus all of her mom’s stash now too and is totally running out of room in her own house. So, it can’t be anything sewing-related (notions, etc.) or even a quilt because she has so many quilts now, both hers and mom’s, that she doesn’t know what to do with them all!

I thought about a gift card to JoAnn’s but she’s not a fan of the place (LOL) and besides which her house and potting shed are full of fabric (the potting shed is the hiding place from hubby!). I know JoAnn’s sells other things but she’s not one to want the latest and greatest notions or rulers or anything like that, she does everything the old-fashioned ways and enjoys that. By profession, she is a horticulturist and has many different gardens at her house (she lives way out in the country) so a plant or flowers is out of the question too!

I am stumped!! Any ideas for me??
A gift certified to a grocery store that she likes. Or an Accuquilt electric cutter to help with her stash.
Lovely chair

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 AM

I suspect she is already thrilled to have found a good home for her chair. Absolutely beautiful btw.

Offer help with cleaning the house if you are able.......you don’t need to reciprocate in any way but continued friendship. Personally I would take her out for a meal and have fun together.