Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gift needing Custom Framing >

Gift needing Custom Framing

Gift needing Custom Framing

Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 AM

Default Gift needing Custom Framing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600037[/ATTACH]

My dear mother just sent me this beautiful counted cross stitch that she made for my sewing room. She's worked on this for over six months and I just love it!

My question: I'm looking for an affordable custom framing service and am aware that Michael's and JoAnn Stores offer this but it's been many years since I've done this and I recall the price was out of this world. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions.

FYI - Unfortunately, it's not a common size so I do not think it would work to simply buy a standard frame and matting. The stitched area is about 13 1/2"w X 12 1/4"h.

Thanks in advance -

Christine
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room-cross-stitch.jpg  

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 08-25-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

That's gorgeous! She did a wonderful job on it.
I have found Michael's and Joann's prices to be ridiculous. I've framed myself by stretching it with small pins
and doing it myself. Way cheaper.
The exception was a wedding sampler for my son and dil. I went to a professional framer and they did a wonderful job for less than JAF and Michael's.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 AM

That picture is just beautiful, your mother did a fabulous job on it! When I started quilting, I abandoned doing counted cross stitch, after seeing this I am considering taking it up again.

My husband used to make me frames out of oak chair rails and would stain and varnish them. I would block them using stainless tacks.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:33 AM

Oh my that is so beautiful... some things should be preserved. Spend the money to frame this treasure - think of it as a gift given with love and treasure it.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:35 AM

Wow! Your Momma really loves you! That shows a lot of work! It's beautiful! I haven't had anything framed in several years, so I can't give you any advice except it deserves a super-duper framing job! I'd pay a little extra to get it done right.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:59 AM

Oh how beautiful! This piece is exquisite. I don't see where your dear mother signed and dated it. If she didn't, you should remind her. I can only imagine that this will be an heirloom. Joann's and Michael's frequently offers very good coupons for framing.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Try Hobby Lobby and use their 40% off coupon that is usually in the newspaper. Good luck - it's beautiful!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

what a wonderful gift she made for you. so detailed. I love counted x stitch.
I worked in picture framing years ago. the mark up is the worst. a mat board they'd buy from us for $1.50 was marked up to $30!!! it's pricey wherever you go. I do my own by buying the components at Michaels. much
cheaper. go to you tube to learn how and save yourself about $200. good luck.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:07 AM

That's a beautiful picture and such a treasure from your dear mother. Either learn how to do your framing or find a custom shop. They can make recommendations on the mats and frames that bring out details in the piece. Please show us when it is framed and hanging on the wall.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:17 AM

I also recommend a custom shop and ask if they will take Michael's coupons to price match. You never know.
If you have a Craigslist around, you may find someone who does it on the side. Be sure to see samples and ask for references. Ask your friends where they got things done.
One thing to remember when framing is to be sure to get non-glare glass. It is extra but you will kick yourself forever if you don't. Speaking from experience here.

That piece is absolutely beautiful.

Watson