Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Giving instructiion/directions - - - >

Giving instructiion/directions - - -

Giving instructiion/directions - - -

Old 09-20-2015, 10:59 AM

I have had that happen accidentally as I assembled, and took it out and resewed, but always wondered if you could just snip in the center and repress flat, or would that leave a weak spot. Anyone know?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

However - I do have a dreadful time with verbal destination directions. There seems to be something in my brain that just does not process them well.
Me too. My DD, who has a near photographic memory, says I have "a defective mother board".

Last edited by madamekelly; 09-20-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have had that happen accidentally as I assembled, and took it out and resewed, but always wondered if you could just snip in the center and repress flat, or would that leave a weak spot. Anyone know?
Yes it does leave a weak area. My friend wanted me to teach her to quilt and some did the bottom example so she got tired of redoing these area's and no matter what I said it was her choice. Once the top was finished I sent it home with her and told her to wash and dry it---every one of her snipped seams came apart. The process to then tear out and replace each area was days of added work. She offered to pay me to re-do her mistakes but when I said yes but it would cost her $2 per she counted them and picked up the seam ripper. She is now down to the binding and can't wait to start her next quilt.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

When I've had a twisted seam - I clip each side of the seam separately -

I don't know if it really lessens the weakness of the clipped area - but I like to think it does - -
Attached Thumbnails snips.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 AM
pal

Default giving instruction/directions

When I give directions for how to do something, I always assume that the person getting the instructions has never done any hand sewing at all. I usually apologize first so that no one thinks I am talking down to them - then I start at the beginning. I once had to re-sew the arms and legs on 12 rag dolls because I didn't tell the ladies to use two strands of thread when sewing them on, and nobody knew enough about sewing to ask. Lesson learned, don't assume people "just know"..

Last edited by pal; 09-21-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
When I give directions for how to do something, I always assume that the person getting the instructions has never done any hand sewing at all. I usually apologize first so that no one thinks I am talking down to them - then I start at the beginning. I once had to re-sew the arms and legs on 12 rag dolls because I didn't tell the ladies to use two strands of thread when sewing them on, and nobody knew enough about sewing to ask. Lesson learned, don't assume people "just know"..

It's true about anything. People don't know what they "don't know." It sometimes amazes me when I have actually learned something to realize what I thought I knew about it before I learned it! ....if that makes sense!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

When an someone asks "any questions?" after a lecture or demonstration - I KNOW I will have some questions - I just don't know what they are then.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM

One day a couple of years ago, as I left for work, I told my DH that if he went into town that day to pick up some mulch and water softener salt.
I was in shock when I came home to a trailer loaded with an entire pallet of mulch and an entire pallet of salt!!!
We finally used all the salt, but I still have 20 bags of mulch LOL

Next time I MUST BE SPECIFIC.........LOL
Old 09-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
One day a couple of years ago, as I left for work, I told my DH that if he went into town that day to pick up some mulch and water softener salt.
I was in shock when I came home to a trailer loaded with an entire pallet of mulch and an entire pallet of salt!!!
We finally used all the salt, but I still have 20 bags of mulch LOL

Next time I MUST BE SPECIFIC.........LOL
You did say "some" - - - - LOL