Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going to Yellowstone, tips? >

Going to Yellowstone, tips?

Going to Yellowstone, tips?

Old 07-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
I highly recommend taking the loop bus tours if you are going to be there for several days. We did the north loop one day and the south loop another day and then went back to the places where we wanted to spend more time on our own.
The tour guides are extremely knowledgable and gave us a break from driving and getting to really enjoy the sights without worrying if we were going to run into another car!
That is a great suggestion, although I don't think my DH would have agreed to do it......BUT honestly you do have to be watchful... and NOT in a hurry...... one buffalo can cause a huge traffic jam

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554343[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails yellowstone-shipshewana-20121441-small-.jpg  

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 07-20-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 PM

*** There is a quilt shop at one of the entrances (forgot which one)
*** but the owner had a Hiring ad on here several months ago.
*** I found it:
***Send It Home Shop
30 Madison
POB 468
West Yellowstone, MT 59758
Old 07-21-2016, 03:16 AM

The only tip I've got is to pay attention to the signs that say "Do not feed the animals". Bears that have been fed can become a problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
stay away from the bears....you cant out run them.
Ha! I know and I really don't ever run anymore!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 AM

@quiltsRfun, great tips. Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 AM

I am surprised that someone from Montana hasn't responded. It is a beautiful place and i would recommend taking a week or more to see it all. There are some side roads that aren't traveled much that you could see some wonderful animals while traveling. Please , Please don't get out of the car near animals. I have seen people do that and then seen on the news that someone was gored. Take your time and enjoy all the sites.
Lynda
Old 07-21-2016, 04:32 AM

@thimblebug6000, thanks, like these tips!!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Was just there last year! But we were only in the park one day, NOT ENOUGH TIME!! We rode our motorcycles cross country to get there. We went in via the south entrance after going through Teton NP. All we managed to really take in was Old Faithful. The Tetons were simply awe inspiring. Unfortunately the western wild fires socked the haze in and we only got the spectacular views the first morning in the area. On day two we took the gondola to the summit of Jackson Hole ski area and you really couldn't see anything due to the smoke from far off fires. But it was still well worth it! Try to set aside a day to stay in the town of Jackson Wyoming. It is very artsy and fun. There are bronzes all throughout the town and the park in the middle of town has huge arches made out of shed elk antlers. Great photo ops. I want to go back and spend at least a week in the park.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:59 AM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! You've given me great tips and thanks for sharing nice memories. I'm even more excited to keep planning.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 AM

I hope you have a great trip to Yellowstone I have lived within 100 miles of it all my life and if you are interested in mountain roads then the Red Lodge interest is the highest and has been called the All American Highway at the very top the sign says 10,996 feet then you drop going into Cooke City a very beautiful drive there is also a quilt shop in Red Lodge doing the row quilt now I love the east entrance through Cody it goes over a mountain called Sylvan Pass not as high as Red Lodge but I don't remember exactly but a very beautiful drive and Friends and Company quilt shop in Cody has the neatest row block that I have picked up if you should decide to pick that one up I would ask them to open it up and explain it a little as some of it is laser cut and their explanation to me was very helpful but if you are coming through Montana and through Billings you will have 2 choices you can turn at Livingston and go up what is called Yankee Jim Canyon not to steep of a drive and there is a quilt shop on the highway Back Door Porch and they have a very neat row featuring the park entrance at Gardiner Or you can go to Bozeman and on to West Yellowstone that is a very pretty drive and not so steep there are quilt shops both in Bozeman and West Yellowstone doing the row quilt or if you are more in the middle of Wyoming there is the south entrance at Jackson Hole and the Tetons a beautiful drive up the Snake River Valley but right now there is a huge fire around there and as of yesterday there was evacuations and one highway closed not sure on the status of the fire today or when you plan to leave but that fire is not effecting any part of the park except around Jackson and they might have it out before you leave it does pay to check hope I have been of some help