Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Good Vacation Spots

Good Vacation Spots

My DH and I are looking for good vacation spots. We either want to escape the heat and humidity in the summer(preferably late enough that all the kiddies are back in school) or the cold of winter(probably in Feb).
    We live in NC. So in the summer that would mean going north. AK is a great trip. We've done the cruise portion once and loved it. If we go again we would do the cruisetour. But before we go someplace over we thought perhaps there was another destination.
    Going away in winter means going south. Whether that be FL, the Caribbean, or Mexico.
    Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the matter?
    We're rather private people and don't like huge crowds.

Blog Entries
    If you are brave enough to cross the border, Ontario in the fall is spectacular. Late September to late October is my favourite time of year. Toronto is a wonderful and multicultural city (in spite of the mayor), and there are so many things to do. Head to the Niagara area to wine tours, then to the Kitchener area (where I now live, after moving from Toronto last year) for Octoberfest. Check it out online- so much- theaters, restaurants, shopping, and the US dollar is in your favor now.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Thanks quilter1. It sounds lovely. But the fall is gorgeous here in NC as well. We like to get away during the extreme temperature months like August or February.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sval View Post
    Thanks quilter1. It sounds lovely. But the fall is gorgeous here in NC as well. We like to get away during the extreme temperature months like August or February.
    If you want a getaway then, don't come up here. August can be brutally hot and humid and February is the coldest month. Spring and Fall are lovely.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

The Northwoods. Wisconsin. August: Highs in the early 70's in July. Bayfield is bee u tee ful!!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Costa rica in the winter months, we spent 5weeks there this winter and loved every minute of it.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I like to go to ft Myers beach or to Venus ,Fl.... Both are very nice places

My husband and I toured the Scandinavian countries a few years ago in June. Cool at that time, but unbelievably beautiful, especially the fjords. I imagine August would be a good time, as well, if you want to travel out of the country.

Blog Entries
    If you want to go North in summer try this

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

I saw an old travel log on Turner Classic Movies about this place and I looked it up because it was so cool and I think it hasn't changed in many years.

The Grand Hotel has the longest veranda in the world. Take a look. I haven't been there yet but boy do I want to go.

Where ever you go, have a great time.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I grew up in Michigan and I concur with ube quilting. Mackinaw Island is beautiful and unique (no cars!) or at least it used to be. Traverse City is gorgeous and the Cherry Festival in July is great! The Great Lakes and other areas close by make it a wonderful summer getaway. Now for winter ya'll come and see us in February. The Gulf Coast of Florida has the best fine sugar sand beaches anywhere! Whatever you want to do you'll find here. Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa form a triangle of wonderful sights and sounds. You can be as active or laid back as you want to be. Are you all baseball fans? Plenty of teams are in spring training here in February including the Tampa Bay Rays, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and several more. Winter the Dolphin of Winter's Tale 1 & 2 fame resides in Clearwater where they are currently building a new Aquarium and Rescue facility, Dali and other art museums, theater, Great and varied dining shopping AND some awesome quilt shops! So come on down!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Blog Entries
    Come West!

There is so much to see and do West of the Mississippi and once you are West of the Rockies it is even better.

Rarely humid, the dry heat of desert areas is much easier to bear than the humid East. Summers in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia are lovely especially in Coastal Areas. Winters are wet, but generally mild.

You will find some really great quilt shops too.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I live in Michigan and Yes, Mackinaw Island is wonderful to visit. NO cars are allowed except emergency vehicles. There are horse drawn carriages, plenty of fudge shops. You can bike around the island if you so desire. The breezes off Lake Michigan and the Straits of Machinaw are wonderful. We have sailed there several times and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
    You can take the ferry across for the day or stay at one of the hotels. The GRAND HOTEL gets booked early (not in my budget) but gorgeous!!!! Quite an experience for a few days. Machinaw City is awesome also.....yu can sit on the shores of Lake Michigan and make yourself a picnic. ENJOY!

Blog Entries
    if you want to travel in Aug. Wyoming and Montana are wonderful places go yo the mountains and you may still see enough snow to make a snowball Glacier Park is one of those places and you would even see mountain goats it also borders Alberta and Banff Park absolutely beautiful also Wyoming has the Yellowstone and the Tetons between Red Lodge Mt. and Cooke City over 10,000 feet will most likely still see snow we have seen lakes still frozen the 4th of July not sure if you camp or stay in motels but also lots of B&B's hope whatever you pick you have a great trip

Again thinking outside the box. My fav vacation spot is my sewing room!

Quote Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
    Again thinking outside the box. My fav vacation spot is my sewing room!
    My DH's favorite vacation spot is working in the "man cave". Any kind of work. The dirtier and sweatier the better. But the only way I can get him away from his job is to go somewhere and make him leave his computer home. Otherwise he's checking his damn email constantly. So once every 18 mos or so I try to find somewhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    If you want to go North in summer try this

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

I saw an old travel log on Turner Classic Movies about this place and I looked it up because it was so cool and I think it hasn't changed in many years.

The Grand Hotel has the longest veranda in the world. Take a look. I haven't been there yet but boy do I want to go.

Where ever you go, have a great time.
    peace
    Bonnie Hunter just taught a quilters retreat there, at the Grand Hotel. She has pictures on her blog, Quiltville. It looked beautiful.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    If you haven't been to Tucson it is a wonderful place to visit. Lots of quilt shops too. You DO NOT want to come here in June or July the rest of the year the weather is wonderful, not too crowded and there is lots to do
    Patski
    always learning

Alaska. nuff said

One of the best kept secrets is that Washington DC is terrific during Labor Day week. All the families with kids have disappeared and the school groups haven't started. The only people there are retirees and people with little kids (but not too many of them.) I lived in the DC area for 30 years and worked right on the Mall for much of that time. Labor Day week was always my favorite. The one negative for you may be the weather -- it is frequently just as hot as August. But you would be in museums most of the time, so it wouldn't really matter.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

we went to Maine and then down to Boston last summer. Loved it.

Blog Entries
    Ireland is a good destination if you want to avoid heat ;-)

Living in traverse city for the last 25 year, I have to admit to it being God's country! Very few days over 90 degrees and the cherry festival runs from 4th of July til July 12th. Very much a tourist spot with lake michigan, the bays, wine and big time brew pubs. We do have it all!!!!! In the same breathe....have to say, Toronto, Killarney & Kilkenny ireland, and always JAMAICA in march are close to my favs!!! Going anywhere, away from home for a week is fun!! This summer we are going to Seattle to my son's new favorite God's country....His summer home....He lives in park city Utah all winter.