Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that? >

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My cousins and I would make playhouses out of raked leaves. More like make a blueprint of the floor plan of a building using leaves as the drawing line. It was fun. We made mansions, hospitals, schools, and homes. We spent all day making the buildings. Funny how the rooms of our dream houses back then are mostly the same layout as our homes we live in now. Playing with what we had available was the best creative training we could ever have.
We did that too! Only we used pine needles. Do a search for one of my favorite children' books, Roxaboxen. It's based on the author's memories of doing the same thing in the desert.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 PM

Grew up in WEstern Kansas on a farm. When Wildhorse Lake froze over the young people from our church went there for a bonfire for weiner roasts, ice skating, and to mingle. We didn't have insulated outerware and such but we went. It was so cold. We had to share skates and skated (slid) on the ice. Now, in Arkansas my grandchildren have ice skated indoors mostly as young as preschool. I hope they continue both old and new ways. In the 70's my boys did wheelies in the VW bug and slid down sides of overpass ramps on cardboard when we had big snow. My youngest son is a heavy industrial welder and works in the weather with insulated wear. I had completely forgotten the games we played til they were menntioned here. Thanks for all posting the memories.

Last edited by adamae; 01-10-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM

On our last warm day, I babysat for a neighbors 2 boys (5&7). We (The kids & I) didn't know each other well, I seldom had seen the children outdoors but Mom and I spoke on a regular basis. It was just beautiful out---so, sweaters on, and small cars and shovels in a bag, we headed out to the back field. They asked ---what are we going to do out here--- as we stopped at a big dirt pile. OMG---I had more fun teaching them how to build roads in the dirt pile, using sticks as trees as we drove thru a "forest", making a mountain, digging a hole and heading back to the house for water, to fill "the lake". They had NO CLUE how to play....like I played. But we "putzed" for hours. Mom wasn't happy with the dirty clothes and shoes (I told her if she had brought a change of clothes, I would have laundered them). She said, "I never thought my children would get so dirty in 4 hours". She doesn't chat like she used to, nor has she asked me watch her children again. Sad all the way around---but hope the boys remember the crazy old neighbor lady digging in the dirt and making mud when they are grown.

Last edited by mrsjdt; 01-12-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: mis-spelling (if you can mis-spell "putzed"
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM

I grew up on a farm in Iowa. We were always outside. In the summer, we climbed trees and made mud pies and played baseball in the yard. We have a dirt pile that we played in with our farm toys. Oh, the fields we planted!! In the winter, we made snow forts and went sledding down the hill at Gramdma's house and snowmobiling. We had chores too but there was fun times between chores times. We would come home dirty, tired and hungry but we had fun!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM

MrsJdt I'm sure those boys will always remember that day even if their mom wasn't too happy. Kids today have to be constantly entertained and aren't able to think for themselves. Computers and technology are terrific but they need to use their imagination too. Hopefully their mom will realize this.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM

I agree with Grammie Sharon. I bet the kids had a ball.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

my kiddo loves to be outside.. She loves to 'explore' and will ask the first moment she wakes up if she can go outside and play in the snow.. Some days she can but some days well, its just too dang cold.. lol...S

We did a family day and found a BIG hill to sled down in inflated round tubes.. it was awesome but the hike back up was a killer... Needless to say all of us slept like babies that night.. lol.

When her dad is outside working she'll ask if he can hook up the aluminum boat to the ATV.. 9 times out of 10 he says yes and they head off sledding all over the property.. We tease and call it REDNECK SLEDDING..

Its times like this the kiddos remember.. they don/t stay small forever so why not make the most of it..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

what memories. I too was out all day in the snow. snowforts with tunnels and sledding was top on my list. I remember one night it had snowed and in the morning I was first one up. I ran in and out of bedrooms waking up my sister and brothers to tell them it had snowed and we needed to go out. mom had to get up to make a big pot of oatmeal. you know we needed something "warm to stick to our ribs" before we went out. lots of grins here with all the memories.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 AM

I grew up in UK in the Fifties. There was still bomb damage in places rationing was about in the early years and we had far more freedom with our mums at home. Cooking and baking was done daily and families lived close to relatives. As children we had few toys and certainly didn't take them outside. Skipping rope was the washing line or even a swing.
We had to THINK for ourselves and design games etc each day. When it was dark no tv but books to read which inspired imagination for the next day. I never remember being bored or asking what can I do.
Children today expect to be handed and told what next .
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 AM

I took my little 4 year old grandson out to catch bugs this past summer and we had a few grasshoppers and lady bug and boxelder bugs in a large plastic peanut jar. He spent all afternoon outside catching bugs. I hope he remembers that day long after I am gone.... I hope to make some snow blocks to build a fort ( If we ever get enought snow)! His mom does not like him to get dirty either.... What is the deal, the kids and cloths wash! When he come to grammy's (Which he begs to do) we have the best times....!