Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grand Rapids Makes 5,000-Person Music Video >

Grand Rapids Makes 5,000-Person Music Video

Grand Rapids Makes 5,000-Person Music Video

Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I saw it on ABC news last night...wonderful.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
Originally Posted by donnajean
If you have not seen this, take a look

http://video.yahoo.com/editorspicks-...-25402516.html
Video is no longer available. However, I did see it on the news channel. Great!
Works now!!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM

that's my town!:)
(our mayor, George Heartwell--who is quoted with saying that Grand Rapids is the greatest city in the galaxy--was in the white car)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM

I grew up in Allendale MI, which is 20 miles west of Gr. Rapids. I lived in GR from 1975 until 1977 when I moved to Austin TX, but I still have a brother who lives there & 2 sisters who live in neighboring towns. When I saw this on the news it sent chills right up my back. Good for everyone who participated in this tribute!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:30 PM

I live in Grand Rapids and yes the auto industry sure did send us for a loop, with General Motors closing up and the Lear plants closing and before that the appliance makers all leaving town, and Steelcase all but folding, but dying??? I don't think so, we have an awesome Medical Mile with some of the best doctors and nurses in the country and we have a zoo and the Gerald Ford Museum (and he is buried here) and dworld class colleges and universities. Grand Rapids is an awesome place to visit and to live. And best of all we have some amozing quilt shops!!

Thanks for the link!!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Just think of the logistics in getting that all worked out with no stops and starts! Amazing video.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by booklady
Just think of the logistics in getting that all worked out with no stops and starts! Amazing video.
No doubt. Also, the logistics of getting the roads free. Michigan Ave is where the hospitals are, that would be a challenge.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Donna Jean...thanks sooooo much for sharing this with the board! I am from a Grand Rapids suburb, five minutes from where this video was taken, and I am so proud of the city and it's progressive personality. This video was in response to a website listing our city as one of the top 10 dying cities in America. It was very upsetting to all of us in this area because GR is NOT dying, but is drawing many young adults and families to this area. Rob Bliss is the person who organized this video. He is known in GR for getting the community together to have fun and show off it's talents. Some examples are Night of the Living Dead, a paper airplane throw, a giant water slide party etc.
Our city also has a tremendous ART PRIZE contest in the fall, enabling 1000's of artists from near and far to display their art work all over the city. People come from around the country to see the displays that are outside on malls, streets, sidewalks and inside buildings from hotels to restaurants. Then we get to vote online or smart phone for a winner in several different categories.
This weekend is our Festival, where music artists from the area have shows all weekend, and there's lots of food and drink to keep young and old happy. Again, thanks for giving me the opportunity to get on my soap box, and share our great city with you. Stop in and see it sometime!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary

Donna Jean...thanks sooooo much for sharing this with the board! I am from a Grand Rapids suburb, five minutes from where this video was taken, and I am so proud of the city and it's progressive personality. This video was in response to a website listing our city as one of the top 10 dying cities in America. It was very upsetting to all of us in this area because GR is NOT dying, but is drawing many young adults and families to this area. Rob Bliss is the person who organized this video. He is known in GR for getting the community together to have fun and show off it's talents. Some examples are Night of the Living Dead, a paper airplane throw, a giant water slide party etc.
Our city also has a tremendous ART PRIZE contest in the fall, enabling 1000's of artists from near and far to display their art work all over the city. People come from around the country to see the displays that are outside on malls, streets, sidewalks and inside buildings from hotels to restaurants. Then we get to vote online or smart phone for a winner in several different categories.
This weekend is our Festival, where music artists from the area have shows all weekend, and there's lots of food and drink to keep young and old happy. Again, thanks for giving me the opportunity to get on my soap box, and share our great city with you. Stop in and see it sometime!
Well said grandma mary, I think I may slide over to festival and check it out. I am proud to call Grand Rapids home.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM

I grew up in Mi till 6 yrs ago. Loved grand Rapids. So proud of that Video. They were Great!! Way to Go!!You tell em!!