Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: grease spots

Blog Entries

grease spots

Have you ever noticed you can't spot a grease stain on your T-Shirt till you look in the mirror . Usually to take a last glance to make sure your lipstick is OK, before going out. Hubby is waiting in the car. LOL.
    True4uca

Power Poster
    Yep, and they are hard to remove. I put a bit of dish soup on the spots and run hot water from the kettle through before throwing in the wash.

That is so annoying! For me it is usually a coffee stain. Such a bummer.

Grease spots on t-shirts are a real bother. What works best for removing?

rub a dab of Dawn dish soap, let soak for several minutes and toss in the wash.

Thank you, thank you........will do.

Blog Entries
    I always use a product called Awesome ($store). Great laundry pre treatment. For me it's just seeing the stain. Told my friend about it. She said it even removed a year old grease stain on her DH's tee shirt. I just spray & toss it in the wash, when I see it. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    Grease spots on t-shirts are a real bother. What works best for removing?
    True4uca

Exact thing happened to me yesterday morning (even the DH in the reved up car!). Too late to change so grabbed a scarf and tied to cover spot. Will do the Awesome treatment before I toss in the wash.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Sprinkle with corn starch or baby powder. Rub in and let it set for a day or two until laundry day. This usually works for me.

I mix Dawn dish detergent with Shout (or any stain remover) and toss into the laundry basket until next laundry day. I have done this on shirts I've taken out of the dryer and discovered the oil stain and had good results.

I have made myself an apron to cure this problem. I just forget to wear the darned thing. Guess I need to find one if those spot removers

A cheap bottle of AWESOME CLEANER from the DOLLAR TREE.... WILL CLEAN ANYTHING...COSTS 1.00

The auto part store sell grease removers that mechanics use to take grease off their hands. It comes in a big tub. I rub a little on the grease spot and wash as usual. The grease spot is gone. I don't wear tee shirts but get spots on anything I'm wearing while cooking. I have never gotten into the habit of wearing an apron.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    The Awesome product has good results !

I use a product called Goop, it may be what Onebyone is referring to in post 13. I learned of this amazing grease/stain remover via the board here. Someone wrote that it took an impossible to remove stain from a quilt.

I buy Goop at Wal Mart in the automotive department in the giant tub, transfer to a smaller container when I need more by the washing machine. I pre-treat husbands shirt collars and any stains or marks needing removal in the washing machine. It has a pleasant fragrance and whatever ingredient is in it to soften mechanics hands is wonderful on my finger tips especially if I've been handling fabric. I whole hardheartedly recommend this product and thank whoever wrote about it here.

I will get some of the Awesome product next time I'm near a Dollar Store.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Power Poster
    Yes, too many times to count, unfortunately, and they are usually hard to get out.

My son uses awesome for everything that has a stain, including his car upholstery. It is cheap and wonderfully"awesome!"

Zout is another good stain remover--my favorite. But I've never tried Awesome--will look for that one.

I try to look at my shirts in the bathroom mirror before I take them off. I keep laundry pre-treat in there too. Then I can give the stains a squirt before they go through the wash and get set.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

cover with baby powder, toss in hamper for several days, wash as usual The cornstarch in powder will absorb the grease completely and wash out. Used to come home from work and start supper before changing out of my silk blouses, invariably I would get a grease spot. Always used this solution and it never failed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
    rub a dab of Dawn dish soap, let soak for several minutes and toss in the wash.
    Yep, I usually put a drop right on the spot, throw it in the laundry room until I wash clothes again. Usually comes out clean as a whistle.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.