Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great stories from days gone by….

Post Great stories from days gone by….

STORY NUMBER ONE

Many years ago, Al Capone virtually owned Chicago . Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. He was notorious for enmeshing the Windy City in everything from bootlegged booze & prostitution to murder.

Capone had a lawyer nicknamed "Easy Eddie." He was Capone's lawyer for a good reason. Eddie was very good! In fact, Eddie's skill at legal maneuvering kept Big Al out of jail for a long time.

To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well. Not only was the money big but Eddie got special dividends, as well. For instance, he & his family occupied a fenced-in mansion with live-in help & all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago City block.

Eddie lived the high life of the Chicago mob & gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on around him.

Eddie did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly. Eddie saw to it that his young son had clothes, cars & a good education. Nothing was withheld. Price was no object.

And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong. Eddie wanted his son to be a better man than he was.

Yet, with all his wealth & influence, there were two things he couldn't give his son; he couldn't pass on a good name or a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Easy Eddie wanted to rectify wrongs he had done.

He decided he would go to the authorities & tell the truth about Al "Scarface" Capone, clean up his tarnished name & offer his son some semblance of integrity. To do this, he would have to testify against The Mob & he knew that the cost would be great. So, he testified.

Within the year, Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago Street. But in his eyes, he had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer, at the greatest price he could ever pay. Police removed from his pockets a rosary, a crucifix, a religious medallion & a clipping from a magazine. It read:

"The clock of life is wound but once & no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

STORY NUMBER TWO

World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Lieutenant Commander Butch O'Hare.

He was a fighter pilot assigned to the aircraft carrier Lexington in the South Pacific.

One day his entire squadron was sent on a mission. After he was airborne, he looked at his fuel gauge & realized that someone had forgotten to top off his fuel tank.

He would not have enough fuel to complete his mission & get back to his ship.

His flight leader told him to return to the carrier. Reluctantly, he dropped out of formation& headed back to the fleet.

As he was returning to the mother ship, he saw something that turned his blood cold; a squadron of Japanese aircraft was speeding its way toward the American fleet.

The American fighters were gone on a sortie & the fleet was all but defenseless. He couldn't reach his squadron & bring them back in time to save the fleet. Nor could he warn the fleet of the approaching danger. There was only one thing to do. He must somehow divert them from the fleet.

Laying aside all thoughts of personal safety, he dove into the formation of Japanese planes. Wing-mounted 50 caliber's blazed as he charged in, attacking one surprised enemy plane & then another. Butch wove in & out of the now broken formation & fired at as many planes as possible until all his ammunition was finally spent.

Undaunted, he continued the assault. He dove at the planes, trying to clip a wing or tail in hopes of damaging as many enemy planes as possible, rendering them unfit to fly.

Finally, the exasperated Japanese squadron took off in another direction

Deeply relieved, Butch O'Hare and his tattered fighter limped back to the carrier.

Upon arrival, he reported in and related the event surrounding his return. The film from the gun-camera mounted on his plane told the tale. It showed the extent of Butch's daring attempt to protect his fleet. He had, in fact, destroyed five enemy aircraft

This took place on February 20, 1942 & for that action Butch became the Navy's first Ace of WWII & the first Naval Aviator to win the Medal of Honor.

A year later Butch was killed in aerial combat at the age of 29. His home town would not allow the memory of this WW II hero to fade & today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man.

So, the next time you find yourself at O'Hare International, give some thought to visiting Butch's memorial displaying his statue & his Medal of Honor. It's located between Terminals 1 and 2.

SO WHAT DO THESE TWO STORIES HAVE TO DO WITH EACH OTHER?

Butch O'Hare was "Easy Eddie's" son.
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Power Poster
    Goose bumprr!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Goose bumprr!
    Me too.!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    Me too.!!!!!!
    Me, three!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

omg! learn something new thanks for the stories I have to ask my son if he knows this he was always reading about the mafia history back in the days thanks for the story.......

This is the type of history that should be included along with the regular history class at school.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Neat!!

This is how history should be taught. I HATED history in school, but I find these stories fascinating and they make me want to learn more.

Blog Entries
    OMg, I got goosebumps too. what a great interesting history lesson!
    thanks for taking the time to tell us.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh WOW!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Now that's mafia history with a good ending.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Neat!!

This is how history should be taught. I HATED history in school, but I find these stories fascinating and they make me want to learn more.
    Same here about History in school but now we can appreciate what these two stories tell.
    ljptexas, thank you for sharing this with us.

Amazing! I have "The Clock of Life" on my kitchen wall. It will have new meaning for me now.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

That is fascinating, thank you so much for sharing it with us. Inspirational!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the flash back. I was lucky -I had a history teacher -Mr Posche- from 70-74 . He will always be my favorite. He made history come alive. He did not stop with what was in the the history book he always went deeper and encouraged his students to do the same. My younger sister -16yrs younger- also had him and she refers to him as the Paul Harvey of history.

Sure have missed Paul Harvey, he had the best 'stories' and the most comforting voice.

Blog Entries
    And now you know the rest of the story. Marvelous!

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Amazing! I have "The Clock of Life" on my kitchen wall. It will have new meaning for me now.
    I looked at that plaque on my wall again just now. The last two lines read:
    Place no faith in "tomorrow" for
    The clock may then be still.

I have always loved that poem and read it often as it is right behind the door, and I can easily read it every time I put on my coat to go out.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Major goose bumps!!! When I read that last line about Butch I felt my spine tingle. I'm going to print these stories out and share the. With my friends.

Thanks,
    Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Blog Entries
    That was quite a story and a surprise ending. Thanks for sharing with us.

Interesting history

WOW, WOW, what incredible stories !! Thank you so much for sharing. Goosebumps for sure.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    What great stories thanks for sharing

I also have goose bumps. Thank you for the history lesson that none of us would have known if you didn't take the time and thought to share with us. It is a great story and thanks again for sharing.

Wow! Amazing!

WOW thanks for posting great history lesson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast