Growing long hair

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM

It is these types of subtle, and not so subtle, insults that try and make someone conform to what society thinks they should be. It's usually directed at women. Why in the world should anyone else care what a woman does with her hair, especially when it's well kept and clean?

And what's so wrong with a woman trying to look young? Seems to me that comment would be made by a man who is being emotionally manipulative to relieve his own insecurities.

Not that I'm a feminist or anything. :P

Oh... and I remember women in my family who had long grey hair done up in braids and buns. Their hair was their crowning glory and they didn't cut it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Do you find that there are people who have some issue about an older woman having long hair? It's like we're looked at as aging hippies or something.
I see nothing wrong with hot, mature, hippie chicks! :twisted:

If I still had enough hair, I'd grow mine long and be a hippie looking guy again. Unfortunately, I've inherited the thinning hair gene. :lol:
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM

My hair is about 5" below my waist. I use Prell! No conditioner, when I do use conditioner it makes my hair look really flat. My hair's in great shape.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Pittsburgpam,
Thank you for posting about long hair & shampoo. I have finallly gotten shoulder length after years of short hair. I assumed I had longer hair so therefore more shampoo needed. Needless to say my scalp got dry & itchy (though I had dandruff) so I used more shampoo. After reading your post I watered down my shampoo & used it only every second shampoo. Just washed my hair with water the other time. Already my scalp is no longer dry.
So thank you,
Trudy
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm so glad it helped you!

Last night I put shea butter on my hair from the nape down, braided it, then put almond oil on my hands and smoothed the braid. I planned on washing it today. I woke up this morning to something gently tugging my hair. It was the cat and she was licking the end of my braid!! She must have been doing it for awhile because it was all wet. It does smell good and I guess it tastes good too! :lol:
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
I watched Oprah years ago and they had a segment on about women and long hair......."they" were saying that once a woman reaches 40 that her hair should not be any longer then shoulder length!!

I had two aunts that had hair down to their hips and that is how I remember them.....always. I loved their hair.

Just because people think the older you get the shorter your hair should be doesn't mean that I go by that. My brother in law once told his wife that the reason why she wanted her hair longer was because it made her look younger...........DUH......... I'll keep my long hair if that is the case.

Barb
I guess I'm kind of on the fence about that one...
I've always had my hair long, I've always loved long hair, and I suppose I can understand how it would make a person feel youthful. That being said, I personally don't find that an older person (I say that meaning pretty much anyone older than me, lol) looks younger by having long hair, and I do find that most people over 40 or 50 who have long hair, their hair doesn't always look nice, just long for the sake of being long, as if they're trying to prove something. Sort of like a woman who's in her 60s, in very good shape, looks kind of funny wearing clothes meant for a 16 year old. I mean, it fits, the person may have the body for it, but it still looks funny... I say most people, not all. There have been some really nice pics posted, I especially love the pic in the last page with the woman with long-ish gray/white hair, I thought that was beautiful. I would love to hair hair like that when I'm older.
I DO find that someone who is larger, no matter their age, looks even larger with long hair. That's not to say it looks bad, but in general it's not especially slimming. I'm not worried about that for myself, I'm preggo and still not even at 100 lbs, lol, but I've started to consider cutting my hair just because I'm not 12 anymore, and maybe a bit shorter hair, with a bit of a cut or style might look better than just plain long hair. .. I dunno.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

As to the hair falling out...stress is usually the culprit and taking a multi complex B vitamin will help. Mine was falling out so badly I had to take the beater brush bar off the vacuum once a week to clean it out! I started taking the B vitamins and it has worked great.

I was called an ol' hippy too when my hair was longer...I cut about 10 inches off when it was falling out...now it is growing back out again :wink: Peace 8)
Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 PM

Well, I have a lot of stress and poor diet, so maybe I should try to find some vitamins and see if they help. The problem with me and vitamins is, if seeing no improvements, I tend to get non-compliant. It is seriously noticeable. I've never had thin hair!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Banned

I wash mine every 3 days, otherwise it gets dried out. I never use a blow dryer. I let it dry THEN brush. It keeps the curls that way :D