Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hamilton Historic Landmark burning >

Hamilton Historic Landmark burning

Hamilton Historic Landmark burning

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
Quiltstodo, I am very sorry to hear about this and to see the damage done. Was the building empty or did you lose contents too? My grandmother was born in Hamilton TX. Do you know when the hospital was built? So very sad for you.
It was built in 1927 I believe. We had all of our stuff stored there but thankfully no one was in there at the time. Who is your Grandmother? My first thought after I calmed down was about all the antique quilts I had collected and Several unique antique sewing machines all bought there in Hamilton.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Yes we are going to try and rebuild. Unfortunately we had no insurance since in Texas it is had to get insurance on a vacant building.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

so sorry to hear about tat, couln't they put it out, what started it???
Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
What a beautiful building, and how hard to lose it to fire! Of course you're sick about it - I am, too, and I don't even own it.

For those of us not in Texas, do they know how the fire started?

When was it built? What was its story?

What were your plans for it?
For those who like the history of these old buildings here is the link for this one. I really do plan on keeping its memory alive just not sure how at this point. We believe it was arson.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gazetteer2000/news1934/sanitar.htm
I'm not sure this will work but also trying to add link to what it looked like in the beginning.http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gazetteer2000/ham_city/hospitl.htm
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Thank you all so much it's good to hear that there are people out there that want to see these old building survive. I'm heard so many on www.kwtx.com this last week that wanted to see these get torn down I was beginning to think people don't appreciate history anymore. We were going to make the first floor into community areas for tenants including exercise room and laundry area. The second floor would have been apartments and the third floor our home. Fourth floor would have been my sewing studio and we had just started working on the plans for it. Well when we rebuild it may never be quite as grand but we're hopeing to have it look close to what it was when it was built. Thank God for my family out there they have been taking care of all the legal things right now until I can go out in a couple weeks.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 PM

My grandmother was Mattie Stephens, but she was born before the hospital was built.

I am so sorry for your loss. I was afraid it might not be insured if it was vacant. My grandparents home burned in the 50's right after he paid it off and he had dropped his insurance. Go figure. My heart aches for you and what you've lost.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM

I have to tell my MIL who lived there behind the high school forever. SO sad. I am going there for a craft fair in October. What a loss.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM

What a tragedy, to lose an old historic building like that. I feel for you! :-(
Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 PM

Didn't know about the craft fair where is it going to be? Wish I could hold out going until then but need to go in the next few weeks. I love craft fairs
Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM

So sorry for your loss. Used to malinger down around Hamilton, Hico, Meridian, etc., and loved it.
Hate the loss of another historic building, anywhere, but we are not overloaded with them in Texas, anyhow, as people tend to tear them down for utterly gross chrome and glass monstrosities and parking garages.
And very sorry about the loss of your belongings. To lose the quilts and old machines, too, would be heartbreaking.
Do they have any leads on the arsonist?