Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand Embroidered Flour Sack Dish Towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I agree. My mother taught me to embroider, and my grandmother taught her. Neither of them put anything on the back to hide the stitching. Just make it look neat on the back. Have fun ---- don't worry about it. The embroidery police don't come around very often.
    I agree - I also learned the same way to embroider as Sandra in Minnesota. Have fun and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    so it doesn't matter if stitches show on the back?
    I know that it should look nice on the back, but if if the thread is used in more than one spot? Do you carry it over or do you knot and start over in another spot? I too want to emb some towels and am wondering about this also. Does anyone have a picture of the back of a tea towel they can show us how it looks?
    I took an embroidery class many years and was taught not to carry colors across to a new starting point but to secure stitches and start over in new spot. Doing this makes the back as neat as the front.
    Sally

As I see it, a tea towel is a utility item and as such, can be more casual than an item made for show or competition. Embroidering as neatly as possible is good, but I wouldn't worry too much about the back side. I LOVE hand embroidery and have many items from my sister, who does a neat job, but no covering on the back. I always fold them with the finished side out and hang them that way, too. So, to me, it the back really doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I love this board, thank you so much for all the tips and pics, i was taught to embroider by my 5th grade teacher, and have always loved to do it, have lots of flour sack towels and thread, and lots of surgeries so will be doing lots of these. thank you again
    Mary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2