Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Happy day-QB viewing! WARNING >

Happy day-QB viewing! WARNING

Happy day-QB viewing! WARNING

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Run Malware Bytes on your machine periodically, you will be surprised to find adware and "pups" on your machine from different sites you have been to. Malware Bytes is the best at seeking and eliminating adware...you just have to remember to run it.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM

I am constantly amazed at people who have so much time on their hands that they have nothing to do but to make others lives miserable. I have been infected 4 times with malware from the quilt board and 3 times on 3 separate occasions from Shop Hops......have tried all the malware protection sites but somehow they always get through. I'm REALLY careful and don't download unless for a pattern I need. Has taken the fun out of computer use.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 AM

conduit is a bad malware that gums up your computer royally and litterly stops your computer from functioning correctly if at all.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which is also an anti-virus program. It can be use along with an already existing anti-virus program with no ill effects, or it can be a stand alone anti-viral. It is very highly rated. There is a free 30 day trial version. After that you can buy the reasonably priced pay version which works in real time, or keep the free version.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Run Malware Bytes on your machine periodically, you will be surprised to find adware and "pups" on your machine from different sites you have been to. Malware Bytes is the best at seeking and eliminating adware...you just have to remember to run it.
We run Malware and Superantispyware every Sunday morning after updating both of those. There is always something to delete that has tried to invade our computers and yes, I always have one pup that needs taking care of. One time I accidentally allowed McAffe to install and paid for that until my dh was able to get rid of it. So far, so good.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 AM

How do you blow it out? With a hair dryer, by mouth? Am I just pushing the dust further into the machine? I don't do any of this. Help!!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 AM

I have Norton - #1 (and only) son is also an IT and CIO. Says you should clean it every day. I do! Edie
Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

If you don't know about Kim Komando, her site has every step you need to remove any virus, spyware, or malware from your computer. How to identify what you do have and programs to stop it.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 AM

I work in the IT field and the first thing that I always do is uninstall Norton and/or McAfee when I get a new pc or laptop. You can download Microsoft Windows Essentials from their site and it free and works great at preventing any issues. Even though Norton was installed on my Win 8 laptop that I just got I also noticed that windows had also installed the Essentials so I just have to activate. I also have it set up to automatically check my pc on a weekly time frame. The problem we've noticed mainly with Norton and McAfee that unless you pay them to monitor your system, they make your system run slower and even during the free period you have when you first get it, they aren't that great. My work place has litterly thousands of pc's and you won't find these programs on any of them.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by KayMarie View Post
How do you blow it out? With a hair dryer, by mouth? Am I just pushing the dust further into the machine? I don't do any of this. Help!!

I used an air compressor. You can also buy canned air for just this type of thing. I suggest taking the computer outside or to the garage. It gets rather dusty and don't stand down wind either...