Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Blog Entries

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian members and anyone else celebrating thanksgiving at this time.
    True4uca

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know the history of our USA Thanksgiving. . . . I've never heard the Canadian Thanksgiving history. Our northern friends, would you care to enlighten us? TIA
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    It's basically the same celebration as in America, according to DH, but we don't know why it is earlier. My DH grew up in BC and says they're just trying to beat the snow. HA! HA! Actually, I think it's smart...because cooking a humonguous dinner in November and again in December is just nuts. IMO
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    It's basically the same celebration as in America, according to DH, but we don't know why it is earlier. My DH grew up in BC and says they're just trying to beat the snow. HA! HA! Actually, I think it's smart...because cooking a humonguous dinner in November and again in December is just nuts. IMO
    i agree. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    We've got a great weekend and BOTH my sons will be here today! Might even stop sewing for a bit.... to visit. LOL
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving right back to you!

Power Poster
    Happy Thanksgiving to all as well! Baking pumpkin pies today for Monday. Turkey is thawing in the fridge.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I wasn't aware of this Thanksgiving --- wishing a very happy one to all of you who are celebrating.

Funny, in America didn't Abraham Lincoln start Thanksgiving?? I didn't think anybody outside the USA celebrated this holiday. Ours is not until November. That is when to do some CRAZY shopping starts.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I wasn't aware of this holiday in Canada either. Happy Thanksgiving neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Our climate is colder thus our growing season is shorter. We reap the bounty of our harvest in October! Thus an October date.

'The origins of Canadian Thanksgiving are more closely connected to the traditions of Europe than of the United States. Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts!'

Quote from a web site called kidzworld.com
    Last edited by Trisher; 10-12-2015 at 04:05 PM.

DH works for a cash cropper who says the USA is smarter to celebrate at the end of harvest not at the height of it. Yes they were out working over the "holiday weekend"
    I grew up with it that way so think nothing of it. Why fuss over what can't be changed.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.