Has any one noticed?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I find Ebay is pretty dead lately, from a seller's point of view. The worst it has been in the last 10 years.

I'm holding all listings until after Labor Day weekend...This isn't a good time to list...people are trying to get the kids outfitted for school and off on late summer vacations.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Why not sell here on the Quilting Board?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 AM

75% of my stash comes from this board - I appreciate sellers here knowing that the fabric was once loved and taken care of. I have not been disappointed on any purchase.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM

I used to buy scrap fabric from ebay. All of the bags purchased were listed as being 100% cotton. It"s quite a dissapoint ment to open the package and find poly /blend mixed in. Many folks are purchasing from who knows where [and that's really o.k] but they don't all know their fabric. I'm a quilter who enjoys sewing with 100% cotton.Used to be , I would give those polys to mom [she used whatever; and loved them all]. Mom passed away last May.I really do miss her.Now I have alot of those same fabrics back that she got from me. That part makes me smile.Mom used what she could. Her scrap bag never did go empty.
Postage also is something I considered when I placed my bids.
I think that the biggest reason for smaller purchases is "people". We are not the same as 10 years ago. We are more into "Decluttering"."Get Rid Of It";"Go to my stash first"; "I'm on a fabric diet".
Also, how much the fabric cost.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I am getting ready for a major de-stash and was looking on ebay to get prices. Has anyone noticed that fabrics are not selling like they used too ? I used to buy a lot of fabric off of ebay and the bidding competition was fierce . Now I am seeing huge box lots of fabric not even being bid on. Just wondering , I really need to de-stash and it is a lot of work to list everything and not get a bid .I have tubs and tubs of fabric and plan to only keep about 10 projects that I have made into kits for myself . I am tired of no room to work and being so overwhelmed I do nothing so the time has come to simplify
I used to sell a lot of my pattern glass on Ebay but when shpg. costs went through the roof, all sales almost stopped. There are very few bids on others as well. I think Ebay has lost out in favor of Craig's List.
You might do better offering it out to QB members.

Last edited by Pat G; 08-21-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Why not plan a big yard sale and call it a Quilter's Delight? Put that on direction signs (will get the quilters who did not see ads) and advertise on Craig's List and grocery stores butteton boards, etc. Be sure to have some help as I am sure you would get a lot of quilters looking for fabric. I do not buy on ebay, so do not pay attention to what sells and what doesn't. Good luck, take care.
Linda
P S if you have so much fabric and want to do a 2 day sale, maybe you can use a church social hall and give church a donation or whatever they cost to rent it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM

I agree with the person who said that it's postage prices factoring into the low amount of sales on eBay. I've been an eBay seller since 1999 and I've never seen it this slow. And, of course, they just keep jacking up the fees (especially now that eBay and PayPal are in cahoots with each other - now they get to hit us TWICE with fees - it's crazy). Plus I've never gotten over the fact that we, as sellers, are no longer allowed to ding buyers with bad feedback if they are truly nightmares to deal with (and some are). Unfortunately I'm not comfortable with Craigslist so it's eBay, or selling here or on SewItsforSale, for me and that's about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM

contact your local quilt guilds and see if there are any shows they have planned and see what it takes to get a table there.. no shipping and targeting the right audience! good luck
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM

i would love to sell on this board, but i have not hit the correct member status yet. i wish that my ebay numbers (100%) could count toward selling here. i have plenty of really nice collections to sell. i guess i will have to wait or list elsewhere. as far as hitting the correct member status, i have read the rules, and i found that i have to make a true contribution to the group. this means that i should not say something like "good job" or "love your quilt" and leave it at that. there is not much i can do to further my member status, so i comment when i have a true comment to make.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I almost hate to ask this... but... don't you think that Fabric.com has hurt all other sellers, including folks who sell on eBay? I know a lot of you love buying from them because of the free shipping deal. Since they are owned by Amazon, well, they can get prices from UPS that nobody else does. It's not hard to connect the dots, and see what's happening.

Amazon put out of business lots of little local bookstores (I still miss our "Borders" stores). Don't you think that the same thing is going to happen to all the little fabric sellers, too? We might be able to compete on the price-per-yard, but there's no way that we can compete with their %off coupons, and the free shipping on top of that.

The fabric manufacturers are aware of what's going on - it's been a hot topic at Quilt Market (the trade show) - but based on my conversations with several of the manufacturers, it does not seem that they care. Perhaps it is just as good for their bottom line if they sell only to Fabric.com and the chain stores, rather than to numerous small businesses.